Fuel Guage instability - Dodge Cravan '96 3.0L

In my Dodge Caravan '96 (3.0L engine) the fuel gauge jumps all over the place and triggers the sound of low fuel level, when vehicle is in motion, especially when I break. It happens more frequently when fuel tank is full or close to this level. Sometimes the problems goes away for weeks at a time only to come back later.

What is causing it, and where exactly should I look to fix this problem, I do not see any loose wire connection or damage to a wire harness under the hood.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Reply to
Admin

'> What is causing it, and where exactly should I look to fix this '> problem, I do not see any loose wire connection or damage to a wire '> harness under the hood. '>

'> Any help would be greatly appreciated. '>

'> Matt '

Thanks for the reply Bob.

The fan relay recall was done a few years ago but that was the last recall notice that I ever received. My address is unchanged and I never received a notice on this in tank 'fuel pump module' recall. I would greatly appreciate if you could indicate the recall number and any other info that is available to you.

Thanks, again

Matt '

Reply to
Admin

Yes, Bob - if you could please post the recall number, or how to locate it I, too, would appreciate it.

Thanks!

R. Phillips

Reply to
RPhillips47

There's several for that vehicle. I had one. Look here for details:

Also, you need tocomplain about the airbag light coming on intermittantly. They need toreplace the clockspring, but they won't do it until it fails - SRS light =open circuit to airbag squib = airbag inoperable. I tried to get them to fixit prior to the recall. I got to pay for the clockspring, and no, I cannotget a refund because I don't own the vehicle anymore.Recall number for fuel tank:99V216000

Reply to
Bob

This problem sounds like a bad sending unit. Is that part of the fuel pump module? I wasn't aware there was a recall on the fuel pump module. I had my sending unit replace a few years ago for this exact problem and paid for it.

Reply to
David Allen

Reply to
Bob

David:

Do you recall what the cost of sending unit replacement was?

Do you know where is the sending unit located, is it an easy DIY?

Thanks

Matt

=========================================================== 'This problem sounds like a bad sending unit. Is that part of the fuel pump 'module? I wasn't aware there was a recall on the fuel pump module. I had 'my sending unit replace a few years ago for this exact problem and paid for 'it. ' =========================================================== '> > In my Dodge Caravan '96 (3.0L engine) the fuel gauge jumps all over '> > the place and triggers the sound of low fuel level, when vehicle is in '> > motion, especially when I break. It happens more frequently when fuel '> > tank is full or close to this level. Sometimes the problems goes away '> > for weeks at a time only to come back later. '> >

'> > What is causing it, and where exactly should I look to fix this '> > problem, I do not see any loose wire connection or damage to a wire '> > harness under the hood. '> >

'> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. '> >

'> > Matt

Reply to
Admin

I had it done a few years ago and can't remember how much I paid. Probably around $300 parts/labor. I've done this job on my '88 and am familiar with that, but not the '96. I imagine you have to drop the fuel tank to get access to the sending unit. Dropping the fuel tank has some complications the first timer will need to prepare for, such as preventing the vent hose from breaking, spilling fuel, disconnecting the filler tube and supporting the tank while it's unbolted. The other thing is cleaning the top of the tank to prevent dust from falling in (and fouling the fuel pump).

Reply to
David Allen

Hi Matt,

Had the same problem about a year after I purchassed my 96 Dodge Caravan...

Problem was in the sensor located inside the gas tank with the pump assembly.....

Had to get it replaced....only thing mine at the time was under waranty....good luck

Latter...

Reply to
Marc Robichaud