Now I know what the PT in PT Cruiser stands for.

I was under the impression it stood for Personal Transportation. It's a 2001. Last year it cost me $850 for the PA State Inspection. Rotors, calibers, pads, some suspension parts, and some other stuff. This was at 38,000 miles. This year at 44,000 miles, another $700 for the PA State Inspection. Steering and suspension parts, thermostat housing, and a couple other things. After putting $1500 into a PT in the course of about 12,000 miles, I've come to the conclusion that PT stands for Piece o' Trash!!

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

Sorry you're having problems with your PT. I got my 2001 new in Oct 2000. It just turned 98,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance, I've had to replace one thing at a cost of, I think $125.00. Probably the most trouble free car I've ever had which includes Buicks, Chevys, Fords, Audi, Volvo and a BMW. And of the PT's in our state club, I wouldn't be afraid to say that

90%+ of our members would say the same as I did. And it's still as squeek free as the day I bought it.

=================

Reply to
CopperTop

Are you going to the same dealer for inspection? My guess is you are being ripped off.

Reply to
Art

Agreed! Before accepting any work on the car, have them put in writing that they will return everything removed/replaced on the car and that your have the right to inspect the old parts. You'll be surprised how much less work the dealer will say your car "needs".

Honu

Reply to
Hertz_Donut

On my purchased in Aug 2000, my PT Cruiser during its 95,000 miles has needed the following:

New Radiator: $250 New Airconditioner Condencer Fan Assembly: $125 New Ceramic Pads and Rotors in Front: $140 New Sway Bar Links and Bushings, front & back: $ 175

It still hardly uses much oil. I have changed the transmission fluid twice and change the Mobil 1 5W-20 EP once a year.

Too bad Chrysler can't leave good enough alone.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Lucky you haven't had the lighting switch problem.

Reply to
who

I think PA is a bit more agressive than other states on what passes and what fails and for what reasons

Reply to
Steven Stone

While I am no big fan of the PT, I have to concur that your are likely being ripped off. We had government vehicle inspection here in my province for decades. Finally, they had to do away with it by popular demand as it was PROVEN that it made no difference.

When my wife brought her 1994 Accliam here to BC with her from Ontario, it had to be "inspected" by a "certified" facility. They found all kinds of shit "wrong" with the car (NOT!). I knew it was a crock when I picked up the car and saw that at least 2 of the minor things supposedly "wrong" with the car had not been fixed! But I did not care, as they really were not a problem, and it only cost me an extra $40 over the real work that did need to be done to get that little piece of paper so we could insure the vehicle here.

Government required inspections for passenger cars are a scam - a cash cow. Beware!

Here we switched to "emissions inspections". guess what! they will be doing away with them in a couple of years as well! For my 2002 Grand Caravan, they don't even put a sniffer up the pipe! Why??? Because the on-board computer and associated systems are MORE ACCURATE than their stupid test! You dirve up, they connect to your on-board computer, and as long as the computer does not report an emmission related code, you pay your $50 to the union monkey with his hand out, and drive away for another year or two (depending).

What a joke.

Ask around. There are reputable sh>I was under the impression it stood for Personal Transportation. It's

Reply to
NewMan