PT Cruiser CLUTCH question

2002 PT 2.4 Manual Transmission.

Ok-There seems to be a little play in my pedal for the clutch. Is there something to adjust (in the pedal area), as in the old clutches from days gone by?

I have noticed, a little fluid chamber under the hood-which I believe is for the clutch, and or pedal?

Any help appreciated-

Reply to
pe2

Used to be that you could self-adjust a manual clutch by putting your toe behind the pedal and 'pull' up on it. It may or may not click but if needed, the clutch will remove some of the cable play and give you a firmer pedal.

Reply to
Dennis

Which vehicle had that feature? I've driven standard shift vehicles for

30 years and never come across one that would do that. It sure would be cool though.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The PT Cruiser uses a hydraulic clutch, consequently there is no cable to adjust. That little cylinder under the hood is in fact the master cylinder for the clutch mechanism.

Reply to
Carl Keehn

Oh boy, I have to go back to when I last drove a stick. Was during the seventies, it was a GM, a small type of Chevrolet during the gas crisis, but I forget which. If I remember correctly, all the GM stick shift's had that feature. Probably Ford's as well.

Used to get a little response about every 10k, pull up on the pedal and you would hear a click when the cable had enough slack. I would imagine that any manual transmission still is using this method to adjust the slack in the cable. Hydraulics would not need this of course as they do not use a cable subject to stretch. (Can't see any reason as to why they would discontinue this; unless they found a better method that didn't require owner involvement.)

Check you owner's manual, you may be surprised to find that your car has this.

Reply to
Dennis

I haven't had a cable operated clutch since my 79 Chevette! My 86 Jeep Comanche and 94 Chevy K1500 have hydraulically actuated clutches. The Chevette didn't need a clutch adjustment in the 115K+ miles I owned it. It may have had this feature, but I never knew about it nor needed to know about it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting