removing simulated wood grain

I have a 92 Voyager "woody" and would like to remove the plastic "simulated wood grain." The test patch that I removed left a sticky glue like film on the painted finish. Does anyone know how to remove that film without damaging the finish of the paint?

Tia, Dale

Reply to
five

"simulated wood grain." The test patch that I removed left a sticky

film without damaging the finish of the paint?

Here's one option:

I did asearch for decal eraser wheels.

Reply to
Tom & Debbie Heintz

Look for a "glue remover". It comes in a spray can & you use a plastic bondo spreader to remove the resulting "gook". (that's the correct technical term :-) BTW; you should use a heat gun to remove the decals. With luck you won't have too much glue to deal with. The eraser wheels do a great job on *small* decals & pinstripes... HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I have successfully (and fairly easily) used "Goo-Gone" to remove the residue from bumper stickers my kids have slapped on a car. May be worth trying.

Reply to
PC Medic

I tried the "goo gone" but it didn't work very well. Many applications, lots of elbow grease, not much (if any result.) I don't really want to use an eraser wheel because of the noise and time. Guess I'll look for some of that spray stuff. Someone posted on a message board that they used mineral oil with some success. Would that ruin the paint? I'd like to use something that works fast and easy.

Reply to
five

of elbow grease, not much (if any result.) I don't

look for some of that spray stuff. Someone posted on a

the paint? I'd like to use something that works fast and

WD-40 is your best friend.

Reply to
Charlie

lots of elbow grease, not much (if any result.) I don't

I'll look for some of that spray stuff. Someone posted on a

ruin the paint? I'd like to use something that works fast and

And damned if I didn't forget all about that one. And it's safe on the paint too!

Reply to
PC Medic

I think that, because the glue is 12 years old, the only thing that I've had success with is a spray solvent that is made specifically for the purpose of removing decals and decal glue without harming the paint finish. Several companies make this kind of product. The only problem I had with it is that it kept drying before it could have much effect on the glue. So it dawned on me to spray it on and then tape some plastic wrap over it so it couldn't dry. After about 10 or

15 minutes the glue scraped right off : )
Reply to
five
3M sells stuff in spray can that is made for removing auto decal glue. Sprays on thick and let it set and breaks the stuff up great...Frenchy
Reply to
mark french

Thanks for the tip. The glue I had to remove was so old (12 yrs) that normal solvents were taking forever, so I used some acetone. It works really quickly and didn't seem to do any damage to the clear coat. I'll have to wait and see if it all peels off in a couple of months. I had that happen to another car (clear coat flaked off) two months after waxing it with Nu Finish.

Reply to
five