Transmission/Driveline swap, AWD to FWD

I have a '92 Grand Voyager AWD, looking at a '95 Grand Caravan FWD. Can the trannies be swapped and the driveline installed in the FWD model?

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Yes, if your willing to swap the gas tank, exhaust system, reroute the fuel lines, swap the crossmembers, and pretty much the entire rear axle. Oh and I also forgot, the AWD rides about 3-4 inches higher than the FWD so the front suspension has to be swapped too. I think that's it, but there might be more. Actually, probably would be easier to disconnect the unibody from the drive train and lift the entire vehicle bodies off the powertrain and swap them.

In other words, not without more effort than it would take to simply find a 95 GC with AWD.

Ted

Reply to
tedm

I had a feeling it wasn't going to be as easy as it looked...

..Thanks!

Reply to
Hachiroku

This issue was addressed by myself many months ago. It was determined if I needed to do this job, I needed a brain transplant! It is much to difficult to do, not impossible, but if you have a lot of time on your hands and the equipment to do it, go for it!

I just went ahead and found an AWD, which I am pleased to own. Plus I have a parts car to boot! The best of both worlds.

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

A lot of my friends often tell me I need a brain transplant!

Hmmm..I'm not inrersted in clearance, I just want AWD. I thought if I swapped the tranny, the tank and exhaust I might be able to hang the shaft and the fluid coupler, and change the rear springs and axle.

Oh, well...

If it weren't for something burning in the dash (must be the connection to the Overhead Display) I would just fix the van. It isn't *too* bad. THe engine ticks, and there's no heat, but the body and undercarriage are sound.

I may try to track what's burning, replace the engine (they run between $100-300 junkyard) and run it for a while longer. I bought a 2001 Solara; I don't think I'll be moving amps and pa systems in that anytime soon...

Either that, or track down the guy in the next town with a '95, 87,000, and about $1200. If I can ever find him again...It was a NICE van!

Have your Virtual Pet spayed/neutered!!

Reply to
Hachiroku