Ye ol'LeBaron rear window regulator ritual

Hello:

The right rear window regulator exploded tonight when I was putting the windows up. You know the sound; cables clanking and whipping around while the window set half way up. I checked my records, and it has been 9 years since I made this repair. I must be living right. I still have the written estimate from a dealer for $1,290 to do both sides back in 1993; that's when I learned to do this job myself!

I ordered both sides tonight from Window Motor World on eBay. I learned my lesson long ago that you do both sides when you perform this job.

As I recall, this is about an eight hour job start to finish (dealer estimate was 6 hours). Didn't 'spikey' have a web site with some tip and short cuts? Anyone have a link?

If you have any tips, tricks, or short cuts I would apprecaite the info.

Thanks, and take care,

Bill

Reply to
billccm

I feel for ya' Bill,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Some updates; I am about 3 hours and 30 minutes into the job. So far, the entire rear interior is out of the car, and I have exchanged the left side window+regulator.

Moving the quarter window glass from the old regulator to the new is a feat in itself; lotsd of spacers, wahers, and hardware to get in the correct position.

The quarter window weatherstrips were replaced by using a heat gun to soften the old one and sliding into place the NOS replacement.

The Window Motor World regulators seem to be very nice. They are silent and very smooth in operation. In fact, they seem to be better than the originals in every way.

Tomorrow morning I will swap out the other side regulator+glass, and begin reassembly (and cleaning) of the interior.

No matter what, this is still an 8 (maybe even 10) hour job.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice,

Bill

Reply to
billccm