MGA for sale

I saw this delightfully restored MGA for sale, and I thought I would share it with you all in case anyone is interested in it.

Reply to
Dean Dark

It is not what I would call restored - there is not a great deal which is still original spec. And even with a favourable exchange rate you are looking at 13K plus shipping from USA, so not exactly competitively priced.

Not one I would want to own. Mind you, I'd love to borrow it for a few hours to see what it drives like.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

I think that's a whoosh, then.

Well, yes. I have to admit it might be fun. But do that to a twin cam?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Fraid so ... I wasn't expecting irony from Dean.

I know what you mean, but it is already done, and no merkin is going to have the integrity to put it back the way it was. It has ended up a bit like kids picking up musical instruments for the first time in their life and trying to play Mozart.

I had watched the youtube video linked on the website and had mentally written it off as a classic car. I put it in the same category as the VW Polo that pretends to be a Beetle.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Or even the Golf....

FWIW, I quite like the idea of an MGA with a big engine.

Reply to
SteveH

It just shows how little interest I have in it. However, I will remember for the future.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

I quite like the idea of an MGA with a twn cam engine - there only ever were 2000 of them.

That's not an MGA, it's a Cobra replica with an MG grille.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

It was a weird concept - the 1588 B series was the weakest engine of the lot, so upping the power at the top end was asking for trouble. Had they had the 1622 by then it would have been much stronger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With a 302 Ford V8 etc

Reply to
Rob

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Dean Dark saying something like:

I like it. A much better engine than the dreadful shit lump that was fitted to the MGC.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I bought front suspension rubbers for my MGB that were listed for the MGC because they should have a beefed up benefit. But guess what I replaced them within 6 mths as they collapsed. (Silastic type bush over the conventional rubber bushes.)

Having rebuilt Disc engines that alloy V8 was light.

Rob

The MGC had the Healey 3000's straight six.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Beg to differ.. It would have been better if it had, but I'm pretty sure it /actually/ had the C-series boat anchor out of the Austin Westminster, which was also a 3-litre OHV straight six, but that's as far as the resemblance went.

Reply to
Andy Breen

The Healey engines were all basically BMC units with just an extra carb or so stuck on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yep correct thinking the MGB GT V8

Reply to
Rob

Yep, and my memory was at fault. The A-H did have a C-series, but it was the earlier (and probably lighter) 4-bearing version (as used in such eminent sporting types as, err, the Austin Westminster..). The C had the

7-bearing engine (as used in that other notable triumph of BMC marketing, the Austin 3-litre).
Reply to
Andy Breen

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Breen saying something like:

It had a commercial van lump.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Eh? The early Jensen 541 used a 4 litre Austin commercial vehicle engine - but then so did the Austin limos. The C series was never used in a commercial vehicle as far as I know.

The 4 cylinder Healey used the Austin Atlantic engine. Which carried on long after its natural death in London taxis. The 6 cylinder the C series. And had it continued to be made would have likely used the 7 main bearing version.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

I distinctly recall seeing it in some Austin/Morris van, but buggered if I recall the model.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A70 / A90 ?

Reply to