Rust/Corrosion Prevention in Cracks

Hi Folks,

I need to do some corrosion prevention in two narrow spaces: where the aluminium roof of my DS meets the steel bulkhead (bolted) and along a spot welded seam on the bulkhead just below that. Can anyone suggest suitable stuff for putting on/in these cracks to seal them and prevent corrosion?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Surely the roof seal will do the job in preventing electrolytic corrosion between roof and rails?

You might try asking on the club site - there's enough D people who've had roofs off-and-on-and-off-and-on-and-off-and-on...

Reply to
Adrian

: Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much : like they were saying : : : > I need to do some corrosion prevention in two narrow spaces: where the : > aluminium roof of my DS meets the steel bulkhead (bolted) and along a : > spot welded seam on the bulkhead just below that. Can anyone suggest : > suitable stuff for putting on/in these cracks to seal them and prevent : > corrosion? : : Surely the roof seal will do the job in preventing electrolytic corrosion : between roof and rails?

It should, but it's a wee bit tired so I'd like to make sure, the way one might with Jenolite on a steel-steel join. Having taken my heart in my hands and had a bloody good scrape with a Big Screwdriver, it seems to be completely solid at the join, and someone has suggested some chrome-based anti corrosion stuff used on aircraft ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Perhaps even more so, given the chance of electrolytic...

... but if you've got the roof off, wouldn't now be a good time for a new seal?

I take it the insurance angle got nowhere?

Reply to
Adrian

: Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much : like they were saying : : : >: Surely the roof seal will do the job in preventing electrolytic : >: corrosion between roof and rails? : : > It should, but it's a wee bit tired so I'd like to make sure, the way : > one might with Jenolite on a steel-steel join. : : Perhaps even more so, given the chance of electrolytic... : : ... but if you've got the roof off, wouldn't now be a good time for a new : seal?

The roof isn't off ... yet. It may not need to come, depending on where the leak is. I have a horrible feeling that it might be a bonded one, in which case a) removing it is hard and b) it's probably OK in the bonded gap.

: I take it the insurance angle got nowhere?

Haven't tried, yet. It's going in to have a small bit of bodywork (Citroen's lousy idea of how to attach a door mirror) done next week, and he'll have a look at the roof then. If there is anything which is clearly the result of impact damage, everything comes to a stop and various people get informed. If not, reseal and away I go. : > Having taken my heart in my hands and had a bloody good scrape with a Big : > Screwdriver, it seems to be completely solid at the join : :

That's more or less what I said. Complete disintegration of that join is non-trivial.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston