Triumph wheels

I have got a Triumph GT6. I was just wondering if MG Maestro alloy wheels will fit (stud spacing) and whether the offset will be fine (not too far out).

I really cant remember where I heard that they fit but I thought it may be worth asking.

Are there any other cars which the wheels would be interchangeable with?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

In news:0rRmc.763$ snipped-for-privacy@wards.force.net, Tim Fish decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I don't think I can think of anything that'd look worse on a GT6...

Reply to
Pete M

Well i told a lie its a vincent hurricane kit car based on a GT6, but i thought i'd just keep it simple. At the moment i dont have any wheels. I found somebody selling some white powder coated ones near me. just wondered

Reply to
Tim Fish

Why would you want to do that?

GMack

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

They don't look too bad

Anything is better than flipping minilites...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

or

if the other link doesnt work

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

with

Well I agree with that - however for the OP's benefit, yes they will fit. A chap in the TSSC has Montego alloys on his Vitesse do Maestro feels will fit a GT6. However while the Montego ones don't look too bad on the Vitesse, Maestro wheels on a GT6 would just be silly.

Reply to
Doug

How do you recon they would look on a car like this though?

Tim Fish

That's crying out for a nice set of minilites.

Reply to
SteveH

ahhhhh,

i'm not sure what i dont like about them, perhaps its because its the only aftermarket wheels i ever see on kit cars

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

You could try swapping them with a Ford Escort Convertible... about the same value.

Reply to
Allan Bennett

I've got a set of alloys off a triumph, think they were original equipment on something , maybe dolomite sprint? they came off a triumph 2000 estate that I scrapped. if you are interested let me know and I'll send you a piccy.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In message , mrcheerful writes

No, GT6 wheels have the Herald/Spitfire PCD of 3.75". I think Triumph

2000 wheels were 4.25" (or perhaps even 4.5")
Reply to
Chris Morriss

Reply to
Justin Baker

I like Minilites but I agree, everyone's got them, including me :-) However, they suit the Herald / Vitesse IMO. Have you thought about Revolutions - not a very good pic here

better onehere
would say the Maestro wheel would be nasty - worse than Minilites, muchworse - people will stand and point, small children will giggle and grownmen will look away in shame. I'd rather put plain steel on that those.

Whats a max speed on wire wheels (safe speed)

My gran has been 140mph in my grandads V12 E-type but i'd rather her than me.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

i have been put off getting the wheels even more because sombody has told me they are very very heavy.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

2&category=34200

There is no max speed on wires. Many supercars of the sixties had Borranis, which were ally rims with spokes. Consider the Facel Vega HK500 - about two tons of car, six and a bit litres of V8, and Borranis. Never heard of one breaking a wheel.

Bear in mind that chrome wires were barred from racing, though, as the chroming process does weaken things a bit.

From the picture posted, I wouldn't think wires would be a good idea - too retro. Never come across that particular kit car before, but it does look rather nice but at least a generation too young for wires. I should think a trip to Halfords might be a good idea!

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

The Vincent Hurricane is a rather nice kit, still made and I saw one today at the Triumph Sports Six Club South of England Meet down at Leatherhead - yellow with foreign plates - very nice. As for wires, there's no reason why you shouldn't use wires on a performance car it's just that they and their splines need maintenance and checking - they wear, become loose and can get into a dangerous state long before cast or pressed/welded wheels ever will. Triumph Spitfire wires are notorious for having rather delicate splines and being very susceptible to wear - think about it, you put your breaks on and the hubs stop but the wheel spin on the splines! Not a good thing.

surely the iner-tubes and tyres cant be rated to that sort of speed?

or not... you would walk in there and ask for wheels with such PCD... and they would stare at you blankly... they'd say "is that for a ford" and i'd walk out...

image do some very tasty wheels that would look very nice but at £250 each for 15 by 6 inch thats a bit too much.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish