Where has everyone gone??

Up to couple of years ago the UK rec.cars.classic newsgroup had numerous regular contributors all with a much varied outlook on life and classic cars.

The content of the news messages was very interesting and inspiring to anyone with a classic car.

Where have these contributors moved onto?

I understand that more ISP providers have followed the Orange lead in ceasing providing a news feed. Is this the underlying reason?

It would be interesting if any of the 'old hands' reply to this message.

Adrian

Reply to
Dixie

I've been hearing that said for at least ten years.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Dean Dark realised it was Sat, 03 Feb 2007

14:19:51 -0500 and decided it was time to write:

The fact that the decline has been going on for so long doesn't prove it's untrue. Usenet is an old, 'lean' medium that doesn't appeal to younger generations who have grown up with a WWW that's laden with eyecandy and other bells and whistles that do not add to its function, but make it more appealing to the masses. The web and the way it is used is constantly evolving, in such a way that it can come down to the level of the masses in the way it conveys messages to them. Usenet, OTOH, has always remained the same: simple text messages, containing real content, like facts, opinions, argument, thinking. Next to the visual fairground that is the web, however empty of real substance it may be, that's pretty unappealing for most people.

Or to put it in another perspective (and in an effort to make this on topic): you and I may tackle the repair of an old car by reading the factory maintenance manual, talking to people who've done the job before and gathering the right tools before we dive in. 'Modern' people just pull their wallet and have somebody else do it because they can't be arsed to kick in some extra brain cells (if they've got them at all) and do it themselves. They haven't known the pride of doing a thing like that themselves, they don't care, they don't want to talk about it, they don't see the point. It's too difficult for them, they'd rather spend an evening on the couch or drink themselves senseless than actually learn something. I think the same goes for usenet.

I can only speak for myself, but for me, participating in newsgroups has been a learning experience. Not a very efficient way of learning, I'll grant you that, but very educational nonetheless. I've honed my writing and argument skills, I've learned how to ask better questions and give better answers. I even feel it has improved my ability to form my own opinions. The fact that it's a simple, no-frills medium made it all so much better for me.

But I'm afraid that in this day & age, simple and no-frills just doesn't cut it any more. It's got to be fast, brash, ever-changing and exciting. Or it needs to at least give that impression to appeal to a lot of people. Perhaps in the future, a new generation grows tired of the 'form over content' web, and then the pendulum may swing the other way. I just hope I'll be there to watch and mumble 'See? I told you so!'.

Reply to
Yippee

I'm not an 'old hand' as far as contributing to this group is concerned although I have been on the net since 1989 (and anyway I think we got our news feeds via UUCP, not IP). However I have been lurking for much of the time and posting now and then.

Reply to
Richard Porter

AFAIC, there are just too many idiots posting crap in here now. The S/N ratio has gone through the roof. I still read the group daily. but rarely find anything of interest any more. It's probably only a matter of time until I drop the group.

I don't really think that the dropping of newsfeed by some providers affects real posters. Anyone who really cares about their NG access will find a way round; a number of posters in another group I use a lot make use of the cheap newsfeed at news.individual.net, the Berlin University server at just 10 Euros pa. And there's always Google Groups.

The groups which have a strong sense of community seem to attack the nutters and drive them away. Those are thriving.

Others, such as the sports ones, seem to be covered by forums instead. Here the attraction seems to be that if you join a forum that supports your team, you can have a go at all the others and nobody will argue. That's pointless, preaching to the converted. You learn nothing of value. But the groups they once argued in atrophy rapidly.

Some fall into neither category. Like this one. It's just fading away, and not especially gracefully.

Spam has always been a problem too; those who are not clued-up enough to block or filter it will suffer through newsgroups. I've never been spammed via a forum (well not that I know of; my filters are extensive!) but the only reason the usenet spambots don'y find me is that I'm very careful - I've been caught before!

No, I think that the increase in crap spoils it and turns people off. Shame; to me, newsgroups have given lots of valuable advice and brought several genuine friends. Sadly, the days of many of them seem to be numbered.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I have to say that ten years ago I was just discovering it. There remain pockets of civilised activity on Usenet (and long may they continue!!).

But I have to say I agree with Yippee overall, much of Usenet is dying, and that's why lots of ISPs are dropping it. Not that it takes up much in the way or resources, I would imagine that for most of them a single server can do the job. But it doesn't make them money...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Well I'm still here (and 54 this year) although mostly found just lurking in the background and very occasionally contributing.

What a refreshing change these days to read a thread (LIKE THIS ONE) in the old way as it was intended from "top to bottom", "ten" posts so far and with no top posting.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

----------------

Now you heard heard some proof. Move over to forums, much more user friendly places for those who dont have worries about paying for data transfer, like some skinflints on NGs do.

Reply to
Vister.co.uk - Reality TV Video

I'm on true unlimited broadband. But I'd still rather use good old plain text Usenet. It's faster, for one thing - broadband or no. Plus there are so many forums, how do you find them all? With Usenet, you find all your newsgroups in one place..

Diversity is not necessarily a good thing.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

That could be because nobody is using a Microsoft newsreader... apart from Vister who is advocating forums anyway.

Now what does that tell us?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Very little IMO. There are many like myself who use OE without top posting.

To address Yipees point. I have only been using usenet n/g's since '97, but I too have noticed the reduction in stds. It appears that too many posters are too ready to resort to abuse if anyone disagrees with their POV. Unlike Yipee though, I don't agree that any shortcomings can be laid at MS's door. I use OE. It might not be the best newsreader, but it does everything I want it to do without any problems. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I must admit that I'd not looked to see what newsreaders people were using but was supprised to find (when I did) two people in the thread including me using an obscure newsreader (messenger) on RISC OS.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

But doesn't OE still encourage top posting and also sends in HTML by default?

But at least you have learnt how to overcome these shortcomings in OE and do post correctly, unlike many who don't.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I'm surprised too - I'd have thought it were more likely Pluto. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It does always puts the curser at the top when replying, but it's easy enough to move it. :-)

As far as sending in HTML by default, I don't know, as in Tools/Options I always set it to receive and send in plain text only, which also means posts sent in HTML, are still received in plain text. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I just had to check the newsgroup window to make sure I wasn't in comp.sys.acorn.* ! Dave Plowman is also a RISC OS user but using Pluto rather than Messenger Pro.

Reply to
Richard Porter

----------

Not with me it doesn't.

Reply to
Vister.co.uk - Reality TV Video

In news:psExh.6144$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Jim Warren wittered on forthwith;

Ignore the flamers, Jim. Everyone gets the odd bit of flaming, but it is only the utterly muppetesque flamers who actually want people to leave.

If you have help, info or advice, give it. That's what newsgroups should be for.

Having said that, not all the advice on here is accurate, but if it makes you think it might well be worth it!

Reply to
Pete M

Stephen Hull realised it was Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:24:21 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Obscure? There are at least two of you.

Reply to
Yippee

I don't mind lying underneath, but I'm not as supple as I used to be so lying with my head in the footwell and my feet up over the seat while I work on something under the dashboard is a bit uncomfortable, and I have to think carefully how I'm going to get out again!

I don't go to a garage very often, but when I do I realise why I don't, if you see what I mean. If I waste a bit of money replacing the wrong parts now and then it's better than getting charged for something I know doesn't need replacing.

Reply to
Richard Porter