How long have you owned your current Corvette?

Page 2 of 3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070609000006000601070301 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Bob, I've read in about every Vette publication that many engine parts are getting VERY VERY VERY scarce. With all the ZR1s being autocrossed and raced.
Bob G. wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

Dave:
Lots. But no where near as much as the original owner. ;-)
Tom
'Dave: Lots. But no where near as much as the original owner. ;-) Tom'
ME: Tom, Can u put that into U.S. Dollars ? Theres a motivated seller of a 1990 ZR1 for sale near me with 17,000 miles on it in excellent condition ; id like to compare prices. Thanks, Dave
dave wrote:

Dave:
Nope. I will not disclose the purchase amount. I bought the car from a childhood friend who shall we say is far more fortunate than most.
Offer what you can comfortably afford. If it's not enough, oh well. Just remember, the people who bought these from the dealer paid AT LEAST $65,000 USD, 15 years ago. If they had put that money as a down payment on a house, it would probably be worth 4 or 5 times as much today. It was not a wise investment. Perhaps in a few more years they will increase in value, as the big block C3's have, but until they do, it will be a sore point for the original owners.
TomC
What are some things to consider that are specific to '1990' ZR1's when examining the car ? Wasnt 1990 the first year for them ? The engine is a Lotus design, correct ? Did GM beef up the Trans to accomodate the additional engine power of the ZR1 ? When do u suppose they will turn around and start to appreciate ... when they are roughly 25 years old ? Which do u think it more collectable for an investment : a 1990 ZR1 or a 1990 Callaway ?
Thanks for the info
Dave
dave wrote:

Dave: 1990 was the first year offered to the public. There were a few 1989 model year Corvettes with the LT5 engine installed for testing purposes. Most if not all were destroyed, and were never offered to the public. Lotus engineered the engine, Mercury Marine of Stillwater OK built them. The transmission is a ZF, made specially for the LT5. It was designed to handle the output of the engine with plenty of growing room to spare. There are people running stroked LT5's to 421 cubic inches producing 550+ HP who are still using the stock transmission and rear end. As far as turning the curve on appreciation, it may be some time. It's really difficult to say. There are so few ZR1's around, most people don't even know what they are. They have no idea that it was the fastest production street machine for it's time. It's taken 15 years for GM and Dodge to produce anything comparable. The Z06 Corvette and the Viper RT10. Collectable as an investment, hmmm... I'd guess a stock 1995 ZR1 with low miles. The Callaway TT's, Sledge Hammer and Snake Skinners were aftermarket packages by companies other than the manufacturer. Sure they are rarer, but they're aren't original.
TomC
I hate to break it to you, but Callaway was a GM option at one time that you ordered through the dealer. Not exactly an aftermarket system if you ordered one that way. The trick is finding an original Callaway ordered through GM.
--
Charlie
!993 Corvette Convertible
dave wrote:

Wait 'till you drive one. ;-)
TomC
And Callaway's are going for crazy money at Barret Jackson type of auctions
Charlie wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Bought my '86 in 2003 and it was a mess. Looks /runs great now though after alot of work. Learned alot about Vettes in the past few years with a little help from this forum. The Vette will never be "finished" though :) No regrets!

I bought my '75 in 1977, with S.E.A. war games combat pay, from a chevy mechanic who wanted a silver anniversary addition. I drive it weekly.

their
going
we've
In article

Well W. looks like you're the WINNER at 28 years!
Here's waving to ya - \||||
Owen ___
'67BB & '72BB
-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

78 Coupe, my first Vette in October 2002 96 Coupe April 2004 My next .... As soon as I can convince the wife :)
1975 Coupe - 4 Years 2002 Coupe - 2 Months

Won my 92 LT-1 in well errr 1992, 45 K miles and only one service problem so far.
Mike T
"94 Ragtop 6 Speed since '94
Barking Rats wrote:

--