95 neon instrment cluster

When I was diagnosing a problem with the cluster of my Dodge ram, I noticed that there wasn't much contact excursion when the cluster engages the two connectors on the backside of the cluster.

I repositioned the dash-mounted connectors by moving them forward (their plastic clips allowed this) and I got about an extra 1/4 inch of insertion depth.

Reply to
MoPar Man

The cluster printed circuit board is causing the problem not the connection. You can purchase just the circuit board thru Chrysler. I have heard some people say they have remove and repaired the resistor on the board that is causing the problem. Do a google search on it

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

More likely cold solder joints. Can be seen with some magnification depending on how good your eyesight is.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

more than likely this is the problem. I've been down this road on a 96 Neon. Take off the circuit board and with a high power magnifying glass look at each solder joint. Any cracked ones need to be touched with the gun. I have personally repaired 3 of these clusters on 3 different 1st. generation Neons this same way - all with similar issues - intermittent functionality.

Reply to
Abby Normal

The speedo in the instrument cluster works and then sometimes doesn't along with the engine temp and fuel gauge. I have taken the cluster off and have removed the plugins from there holders. I have zip tied the plugins to the guiding cone in the rear hoping to make a tight connection, but it still happens. I left the top part of the dash off and when the speedo stops working, I pull on the right side wires leading to the cluster it works for a while and stops again. Before I buy a new cluster, could it be the plugin? I can't believe it's a broken wire!

PS thanks Glen for your last anwser

Len

Reply to
len rominger