heater box

where can I locate the heater box on a 1999 Grand Caravan?? I have a dual zone control and the driver side always blows hot air when AC is on.

Heater box is behind the dash. your best bet would take it to a dealer/garage and have someone with a scan tool and the diagnostic books tell you what is wrong
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
I not familiar with the unit you are referring to, but I've always thought that a "dual zone" control in a van was one for the front, and one for the back... If that is the case, both driver and passenger side vents should blow the same, either both cold, or both hot in this case... Is that the case, or is it actually cold on one and hot on the other? Also, is the dual zone, front/back, or driver/passenger?

I have a Caravan that has two temp controls up front; one for driver, one for front passenger. There is also a separate control for the back passengers, but I think there is an option for separate controls for the second, and third rows.
That was one reason we bought the Caravan, instead of GM's Astro. My wife likes it so hot in the winter, that the fluid in my eyes starts a slow boil. <g> In the summer, I like it cold, but she likes it almost as cold as I do. The control for the back is either by a control on the console, (up front), or a selection that lets the people in the back set it how they like it.
--
Jim in NC

The zone I refer to are passenger/driver. The drivers side is hot always, and the passenger side can be controled by the slide switch for cold and hot. I thought the climate control switch could be bad, but before buying it I hoped to hear from others who may have had the same problem. It would make sense that the switch could be bad but I was not sure if there was a seperate vent from the heater box.
FeMaster wrote:

There are 2 actuators for the dual zone system. One for the passenger side and one for the drivers side, if the actuator is bad it could cause that problem but more then likely the problem is in the control head. The last time I priced one was about $365.00
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
With the proper service manual for your vehicle (factory manual) you would be able to go through a series of tests of the unit to determine what the problem might be. These units generally have a self-test as well. Unfortunately, without the service manual, there really is no way to know what the proper button combination is.
What I find amusing, is that there are Chrysler "techs" in this group, yet none of them even bother to mention this, or explain how to put it through the self-test. I know they know, they've got the service manuals at their finger-tips. Instead, they tell you "possible" problems, and list price quotes for you. How helpful is that, especially if it is only on a guess... I know wouldn't want to blow $365 on a guess.
This might be a little more help to you, should you choose the replacement route. There a guy on eBay (no affiliation) that does Exchanges of "professionally repaired" units... He currently has an auction up for a dual-zone heater unit, if you think you could replace it yourself. Most likely it's not real hard, remove a piece of trim or two, remove a few screws, unplug a couple electrical connectors, and reverse the order...
Here's his current auction... http://cgi.ebay.com/99-1999-2000-Caravan-Voyager-heater-climate-control_W0QQitemZ6054885028 Sorry if it wraps and isn't clickable. If it does, just go to eBay and type the item number (6054885028) into the search box...
Oh, after a bit of searching, I came up with this site: http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl667i.htm It explains a little bit about the testing procedures, along with calibration and what not. It's not complete, but would be a good a start...

When you refer to the control head do you mean the unit that the climate control slides are on? I have taken the panel apart and examined the printed circuit board for and burn marks or anything unusual. I did go to a junk yard and find another one but it was from a different year Grand Caravan and the connector was the same with the exception of the guide key so the connector would not go on. I could always remove the connector from my old unit but there was a change made for some reason and to do this might compound my problem. I have had the auto to a mechanic and he suspected the dash control unit or heater box that is why I am trying this before being at the mercy of a mechanic that might not be so honest. I really do appreciate the feedback from everyone. balt wrote:

You can only use the control head that is designed for that vehicle. I believe there are 3 of them (regular zone/dual zone/ and dual zone with rear auxiliary) and then you have woodgrain or just black and the one you have I think has the blue and white connector (not sure) But if you have the black with rear air you should have Part # 4677917AB
Without having a scan tool to see what the inputs to the actuators are you are really at the mercy to have someone test it. If I had to guess, I would say out of all the complaints I have seen for the problem you are experiencing 99% are related to the control head (the part with the slides) The other 1% would be related to faulty actuator, wiring or blend door problems
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech