Heater Box Recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a source for good quality heater boxes (I have a '64 type 1)? I know that none of the new ones are as good as the originals (because of the number and size of the fins inside) but what's the best that's out there? THanks!

Reply to
hoss

GERMAN are the 1st choice.... trouble is that they are getting really scarce. I bought a nice set for my 72 bug from a local VW parts store (Knight's Foreign Auto ... no longer in business) that were from Denmark, it had the name of the company on the sticker... don't remember what it was, maybe one of the guys here will know what I'm talking about.... anyway they were nice HEAVY heater boxes like the good old German ones. Denmark... Germany.... close enough. Best guy to talk to would be John Conroy with aircooled.net

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

I think BFY Obsolete parts have heater boxes made in Denmark available. Check there.

BTW, Us down here in the cold weather, do we need to keep the heaters or we can remove them? if so, what's the best way to do it?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Reply to
Braukuche

If you are in a location that requires heat, you will need to research which heater boxes have an adequate amount of heating fins inside of it. Some heater boxes will have almost none = no good heat but cost less. Some will have a lot of heating fins, will weigh a lot more, and provide you will the ability to get heat but cost more! IIRC I have seen Dansk (sp) made differently (amount of fins) for the 66-74 T1s. I am not sure if they fit your 64.

Did you ask at aircooled.net?

good luck! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Yep!!! That was the Denmark brand I couldn't remember. Like I said they are nice!! and works really well too!! I'm pretty sure they had them for pre 68 models. (saw different ones when I bought mine.) Thanks Dave.... couldn't remember the name brand and it was really bugging me....

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

I put heater boxes on my '66 last year, even though i lived in south Texas, the heat sure was nice on those cool mornings... actually i put both heater boxes on ...but I only hooked up the control cable on the drivers side. too much heat with both hooked up : ) I got the Dansk, they are pretty good, and they were about $100 apiece - IIRC. But they didnt use the donut and clamp, I had to cut my headers and weld flanges on. makes for a good connection.

--

Reply to