2500/3500 4x4 Front Hubs Failing?

Page 1 of 2
From an earlier thread:

Ok, anyone else seeing this type of failure? It bothers me as if the hub fails completely the wheel can come off, and there is a clear risk of loss of control.
Chrysler did have a recall on other years, but it seems to me that they are still 'being cheap' on lubrication on these hubs.

Not likely... the rear half of the hub is bolted to the knuckle with four bolts, and the front half is clamped to the rear half via the axle shaft and nut. For the wheel to come off, the hub would have to either rip from the knuckle, or the axle would have to break.

Axel will slide out a bit, which would not be a pretty sight. BTW, 'wheel coming off' was Chrysler's term, not mine!
But I'm not about to test the theory, but if anyone wants, I'll gladly install by dead hubs on their truck! <bg>
How many miles on the truck?

Left hub failed at 32K, right at 42K. The big jump in four months was because I had to make two round trips (3-4K each) to Florida in that period (thank goodness these didn't fail on my trips!)

Guess I wasn't paying attention. My 04 plowed snow, made around 6 round trips from MA to FL with no issue's. Not that it helps your situation but I wasn't aware of a potential problem or the tsb.
I've had to replace mine on my '01 2500 gasser but it was at about 125,000 or so miles. Had I known what I know now I would have opted to replace the hubs with the aftermarket locker hubs I found that I can actually service the bearings on instead of having to replace the entire hub.
Laszlo Almasi
On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 23:59:23 -0400, "Carolina Watercraft Works"

Interesting, I don't show any servicable parts in the hub (can't find bearings or seals listed anywhere for the fronts), and I'm not sure I'd want to mess with it. Life's too short. <bg>
$391 for the new hub, just got off the phone while I was typing the reply. Should have to tomorrow PM.
I've saved both of the failed hubs, and stuck them in my 'dead parts' storage building.
The hubs with serviceable bearings is an aftermarket setup that also has locking front hubs. By being able to unlock the front axles your front tires will spin freely and not offer the rolling resistance which will ultimately result in better fuel economy and less expensive servicing of the front hubs.
http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_dodge.html
Laszlo Almasi
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:56:56 -0400, "Carolina Watercraft Works"

Ah, cool. Wish I had known about them when the first one failed! <g>

They are the same idea as the Warn hub of years gone by. If your going to r&r one I'd suggest doing both and converting them to manual.
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

Neat idea. Don't like that you lose ABS though.
--
Steve W.

On pre 2000.
You don't lose the ABS. There are two different setups. One without ABS and one with ABS depending on which you need.
Laszlo Almasi
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

Pre 2000 you lose the ABS. At least that is what the add says.
--
Steve W.

my 2001 2500 4x4 has 160k on the originals with no issues yet. my 97 1500 4x4 with 300k is still on all original front end parts except rotors and brake pads. the best thing i ever did for that truck was neuter the antilock brakes. that truck wouldn't stop a load for love or money before. once we neutered the abs it stopped better and i started getting an extra 10k between brake services. michael

Interesting, I don't have any problems with ABS, even towing a large non-braked trailer. Mine's a 2004. IMHO 2001 was a good year for Chrysler, but they went downhill in the later years quickly.
I forgot in my original posts, my ball joints have also failed at 30K miles. WTF? Another non-greasable component failing!
wrote:<snip>

None of my other Dodge vehicles had brake issues but the 97 wouldn't stop even if you paid it to with any kind of load. It was eating a set of pads and rotors every 20K. Once I disconnected the antilock stuff it started stopping a load like it should and front brake service interval went to 30k. Some may think this is too often but this truck really gets abused for a 1/2 ton. michael

Had a guy in the shop a few months ago with a similar story, now that I think about it. He mentioned he never got more than 20K on a set of pads, and when I told him I could go 50K or more, he was amazed. Wonder if there is a problem with that year?

My professional wrench said he "neutered" the antilocks on half a dozen 97's and all customers were estatic. All got better braking and longer service intervals. The only problem is liability if there is a wreck at some point. If you do it for someone and then they run over a kid on a bicycle, they are going to blame the wrench. this needs to be done by the truck owner. My wrench showed me which wires to yank and let me do the actual deed. I have never regretted it.
My 93 nor my 2001 had these issues. Of course the 93 didn't have antilock and the 01 has 4 wheel disks. I believe the 97's probably have an issue. michael