Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 1 of 17
With job cuts announced on both sides of the Atlantic, its clear Daimler-Chrysler is serious about cutting the fat. Even more, it has announced plans for increased production at the currently
hot Chrysler unit without additional workers. That is truely cutting the fat. But observers wonder if Daimler-Chrysler has really identified all its fat. Its not just in the workforce. It is in the cars and trucks.
At the Chrysler unit, the new Dodge Dakota, which, perhaps only coincidentally, is selling poorly, picked up 600 pounds in its re-design, all for a paltry additional 2 inches back seat room. But it merely followed the example of the Pacifica: over 4000 pounds for a six passenger vehicle that has all the luggage space - in both shape and volume - of a 78 Plymouth Horizon. The Pacifica isn't even in the same league as Chrysler's all time weight efficient 6 passenger vehicle: the (then) downsized 79 New Yorker, Newport, and St. Regis, at under 3800 pounds.
The extra weight is generally not evident on the road, thanks to Chrysler's potent engines. But it is at the gas station. And it certainly takes a toll in increased wear of mechanical parts.
It may not matter, however, if the Chrysler unit can convince customers the extra weight means greater quality. Mercedes has been quite successful, until recently, with this strategy. Mercedes' economy car, the C230, makes its tires scream with a hefty load of 3405 pounds. In contrast, a Honda Civic with 5 cubic feet greater combined capacity weighs 777 pounds less.
But there is always opportunity. With the added weight, Lee Iacocca may be tagging Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep commercials with "Built like a Mercedes". Of course, if that turns out to be true, Chrysler Financial will soon be in the business of offering car equity loans for the repair bills.
Comments4u wrote:

No. It's about getting America off its lardy ass and competing at world standard productivity levels.
Compete or die. The world is hungry for jobs and there's no space for lazy weaklings.
Graham
No, it's about getting America to get off it's lard butt and take back it's industry, but that would mean unions taking wage cuts and the EPA being told to shut up and suck on a pine tree.
If you want to buy American, it needs to be OWNED and built here.
Japan and Germany didn't lose WW II, they just waited and bought us off.
Budd

Well said, Mr. Cochran! Well said!
Bud (with one 'd')

Top-posted and un-trimmed, Mr. BudE.
--
What the heck, I'll play too.
- Dave

Can some one explain to me why people have such a bug up their butt about top-posting? I find it much more convenient when reading through a thread...
some people need something to gripe about? just a guess. *grin*
--
-Chris
05 CTD

When I read a post by a top-poster, I automatically PLONK them. In general, they are arrogant jerks who have nothing to say that's worth reading; the vitriolic blurb quoted above is a perfect example.
--
What the heck, I'll play too.
- Dave
"Scott en Aztln" < snipped-for-privacy@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Well said!
"Dori A Schmetterling" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:55:17 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

I agree. And top-posting is a particularly egregious method of abuse.
--
What the heck, I'll play too.
- Dave
DAS
"Scott en Aztln" < snipped-for-privacy@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
You do not automatically plonk them. You respond them. This thread is proof.

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:40:42 -0800, Scott en Aztlán

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:02:12 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

?mottob ot pot morf skoob daer uoy oD
************************* Dave
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Do you read books starting at the end too ?
Graham
Pooh Bear wrote:

There's a difference: When I've been reading thru a book, and am on chapter 10, I flip to chapter 10 to start reading again - I don't start all the way back at the beginning (but the previous chapters are there to refer back to if needed. :) (Not that I'm for or against top posting, but your example works against you.)
Bill Putney wrote:

No, and that's why it's not just top-posting that's annoying, but bottom posting and not editing away superfluous material is at least as bad. A badly edited bottom-post-thread can be very annoying to read. So cut away access fat and create a post that is readable be itself. Like I tried to make this one.
Ximinez
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:40:12 +0100, The Spanish Inquisition

Agreed. Top posting is occasionally done in a manner that is acceptable, but not very often. Bottom posting is usually done well, but there are always idiots who can't. Inline is really best.
ALL OF THEM must be done with proper snippage, or they don't work.