Built like a Mercedes (?)

Page 9 of 17
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:35:14 -0500, "Rachel Easson"

Name one 1/2 ton PU that gets better mileage than the average car.
Explain how any 1/2 ton regularly moves more people. PUs full of illegal aliens not included.
************************* Dave

Ever see a Dodge MegaCab? Pickup truck with a bigger cab than most large sedans. 2 door pickups are becoming the minority over here.
An F150 with a cap or toneau gets as good mileage, if not better, on the highway, than a Ford Taurus.
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:02:23 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Regularly. As in frequently. Not, oh once a week or so.

Sure, as long as the Taurus is running on 30 year old spark plugs, with 2 cycle gas instead of regular, and towing a 40,000 boat behind it.
A neighbor of mine just got rid of his truck, F150, which NEVER got better than 8MPG. EVER. If you think ANY CAR averages less than 8MPG you need to get a clue.
************************* Dave

Well, when we take little brother's F150 up to his place in Gravenhurst ( from Kitchener) without the trailer, and without the Quad on the back, it gets 25 miles to the Canadian Gallon if he doesn't push it too hard. It's a 4X4 V8. That's about the same he gets when he takes his daughters Escort wagon - which is kept in a good state of tune. Actually, if he doesn't chase the Escort he can get close to 30.If he chases the F150, less than half that.
In town - a TOTALLY different story. My 94 TransSport 3.8 can't do that(25). My old 3.0 New Yorker could approach 25 - not sure what the 2.5 Mystique is doing - it doesn't hit the highway too often.

What is An F450 Super Duty rated at Max? You can take one off the dealers lot with a pickup box factory installed.
The difference in Europe is there are VERY few pickups, comparatively, and they tend to be 1/4 ton Vannettes for the "gentleman farmer" or medium duty commercial vehicles for use by tradesmen or for commercial cartage.
Aussie sees more "Utes" of the 1/2 ton variety.
Africa sees mostly the little 1/4 tonners and 1/2 - 1 ton Asian pickups like Nissan Hardbodies, Totota Hilux, Mitsubishi Raiders etc, and the 1 ton and up Dynas etc, which are really more like our medium duty trucks (GM Forwards, Fusos, etc) as well as a host of "medium duty" euro "Lorries" in the 5-10 ton range. And a WHOLE LOT of ancient Euro "Heavies" - MAN. Dubrava, Leyland, Mercedes, and a host of other French, eastern block, Chinese, German and British museum pieces.Or 4X4s. And some of the old "Heavies" are all wheel drive too.

Perhaps you can, but its not classed as a pickup at that level. From there on up to 24k or so, its medium duty. Pickups are light duty. Both the government and the manufacturers make this distinction.

Thanks for confirming what I felt was the case, most pickups in Europe are very light weight.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

Confirm all you like but the fact remains that most European pickups have a one metric ton payload. Even the huge numbers of extended or king cabs on the road today have a one ton payload or near enough. I run some and am in daily contact with many customers who run almost every non American brand under the sun, and Ford. The Ford/Mazda one tonner is built........ is it in Malaysia? No. Singapore? Maybe, but somewhere in that general region in a factory jointly owned by the two corps. Thailand perhaps.
http://www.carpages.co.uk/isuzu/isuzu_rodeo_pickup_part_1_22_10_03.asp?switched=on&echo 3123965
http://www.best4vans.co.uk/vandetails-482.html
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/mitsubishi-l200-2002298.html a new version of the L200 has recently been launched
This is the extremely ugly new one http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/premiere/2714/mitsubishi_l200.html
http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/ranger /-/-
The bestselling Land Rover. The short wheelbase pickup and van is the best seller in the range in the UK but worldwide the 110inch wheelbase is by far the best seller, including the rest of Europe. Not that this variant is not a good seller in the UK either. http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/Defender/Towing_and_carrying.htm
What are the others in the market? Hmm. The Toyota Hilux which launched a new model back in June. This is an ugly son-of-a-bitch too. It is also underpowered in comparison with its contemporaries. Try www.toyota.co.uk then find the tab for hilux across the top of the page.
Please let me know of any small pickups that sell in any volume apart from the slow selling VW Caddy which themselves are a rare sight on our roads. I know of only one relitively new one in the area, and that is over 5 years old, and that belongs to an employee of mine.
Huw
Huw

http://www.carpages.co.uk/isuzu/isuzu_rodeo_pickup_part_1_22_10_03.asp?switched=on&echo 3123965
You call that a one ton pickup?
Truly amusing.... 2500lbs capacity and 5510 towing. Laughable at best. My 3/4 ton truck has 2500lbs capacity (limit) by law, 5000lbs by rating on tires and axles. Its towing capacity is 12,000lbs. I've had it on road at 14,000lbs gross weight. And yes, its just a pickup, and not the biggest made in the U.S.

Less than the above truck.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/mitsubishi-l200-2002298.html
A stunning 113hp. How nice. I'm at the low end of the scale running 215hp, and 420ftlbs of torque in my truck.
Visit the Dodge website and you'll find that payload in a one ton 4x4 Regular cab (3500 series) is 5050lbs and a truck with a quad cab (four doors) has a payload of 2900lbs.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

There's simply not much demand for anything more.
Graham

Right, thus my point that Americans are harder on our vehicles. Three quarter and one ton vehicles here in the States are capable of far more than your "one ton" vehicles, because they NEED to be capable at that level.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

I fail to see any logic behind your assertion.
Graham
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Pooh Bear wrote:

The failure would appear to be on your end, then. The statement made was clear and cogent.
"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

You've snipped it out of context.
No evidence was offered that "Americans are harder on our vehicles " whatever. Simply an assertion out of thin air.
Graham

Well Graham, I guess you missed the part where I stated that I personally had 7,000 lbs on a truck that is sold at 1500lbs capacity, legally restrained to 2500lbs capacity, has axle and tire ratings for 12,000lbs (gross) and (here is the part you deny seeing) with thta load weighed in at 14,000 lbs gross. So your one ton trucks are great. But apparently our 3/4 ton trucks are able to haul in excess of THREE tons.
Now, if putting almost five times the rated capacity on a truck isn't being hard on it, what in your view, IS being hard on it?
--
Max

Canadian winters?
Was this a trick question?

Its only a trick question if your name is Graham or Huw.
--
Max

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 04:42:55 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

"Canadian Winter" is a joke so far this year. Can't see ANY snow here, where we would generally have several feet at this time.
<clarence at snyder dot on dot ca> wrote:

Fair enough, it's barely sweater weather here right now. But that hasn't stopped the salt minions - we may actully have more salt and sand in the front yard right now that snow.
I aint pulling the good cars out of the barn until salt season is over, snow or no snow.
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:45:01 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Well, I just went up to the "lower bruce" for the weekend. Green grass all the way up Friday afternoon, and nice weather for the "Wiarton Willie Festival" - then the snow hit. by Sunday morning we had 18 inches, and the power went out about 8pm Saturday.Anouther 8 inches or more Sonday and overnight to Monday. We were snowed in. Left Monday about noon and got as far south as Chesley - all roads in all directions were closed so we spent the night at my Uncle's place and managed to find open roads, in a roundabout fashion, to get back home middle of the afternoon today (Tuesday).
Max Dodge wrote:

It seems I may indeed have missed that bit but how typical an example are you ?

I agree with your example. I was under the impresion however that many pickups in the US are likely to be more cosmetic in use than practical. A bit like a 'boy's toy' really. A kind of show-off 'life-style' vehicle. In some ways not unlike typical UK usage of 4x4s that almost never go offroad.
Graham