Diesel 1/2 ton announced

Page 3 of 3

First of all, if you want a real truck, why buy a 1/2 ton. A half ton won't hold shit, much less carry my groceries from the store.
BLAAA, I say "Shit on the 1/2 tons" Only stoopid pukes would consider buying one.
--
--Scott Hendryx--

MIANDERSON SAID "also you're totally being suckered on the BC game. FSU

The you must own a few of them

I can see you don't have an opinion on this issue. According to your logic I guess the only trucks on the road should be semi's. Why buy a 3/4 ton when you could get a 1 ton? And why get a 1 ton when you could get a 1 1/2 or 2 ton. I believe there is a large market for 1/2 ton trucks with small diesels in them.
Electrician wrote:

The market for 6-cyl 1/2 tons is rather small. They're often bought stripped and used by construction firms to carry a tool box etc. to construction sites. They need the bed to carry somewhat bulky but not all that heavy equipment etc.

Why buy a 6 cylinder 1/2 ton when you can get a 1/4 ton cheaper and get better gas mileage? I would agree the market for 6 cylinder 1/2 tons is small. But if it had a small 6 cylinder diesel in it that would be a different story.
Electrician wrote:

Who makes a 1/4 ton truck? So called mini-trucks such as Toyota or Nissan are still 1/2 ton and not any cheaper.

I agree. I don't see the need.
Scott Hendryx wrote:

Why buy more of a truck than one needs? My 1/2 ton Dodge did everything I needed it for. I now have a 2004 Hemi Durango which does great. Sure I could have bought a 3/4 ton Suburban but why?
Comparing a 1/2 ton to a 1/2 ton truck, I would rather have a diesel in it vice a gasser. Hell, I have a half ton and WISH I could convert it!
Yes the outright (read initial) expense for a diesel is more, but if you look at the long run, long term pricing of it, a diesel is cheaper. I have a 25 gallon tack and at 2.05 a gallon and a 325 mile range in the city, I have to fill up at least once a week. I know a diesel would get better mileage then that. I am spending about 50 buck per oil change right now and that is doing it every 5k running full synthetic oil. Tom, do you change oil that often, I am sure the price is close? Also, though a 1/2 may not have the load capacity of a larger truck, a diesel would make more sense if you use the truck for any type of moving, hauling, traveling, etc...
BTW, also of note in the new issue of DieselPower, Cummins is playing with two new engines, a V-6 and a V-8, both considerably lighter then the I6. Hmmm, a 1/2 diesel sounds a little more realistic with something like that.

reg gas is $2.11
I know a diesel would get better

How much does a 1/2 ton get used to capacity either loaded or towing? I'd bet not often. I can't see the benefit of a diesel in one.
reg gas is $2.11

I guess this depends on the person

reg gas is $2.11

It sure does.
Hey! While I have your attention thanks for the advice on the gps went with the garmin and it is super.
reg gas is $2.11

Glad to have helped man..

azwiley1 wrote:

azwiley1 wrote:

remember correctly is was a 6 cylinder supplied by Nissan. I drove one of these truck and found it a bit sluggish, but the fellow that owned it was extremely happy with the fuel economy. Does anyone know more about this package?

1978 and '79 were the years. The 6 cylinder Diesel was a Mitsubishi. It was underpowered, not turbo charged and sold poorly, around 2500 units IIRC.