Gas to Diesel changeover....

Page 7 of 7

Tbone, I'm just curious. What do you do for fun other than to argue in newsgroups?? You have to do something for fun sometimes..
Denny
wrote in message news:476d4d40$0$2504$>

Well I guess that I'm curious as well. Why is it that even tough there are multiple people on boths sides of this discussion, I seem to you to be the only one arguing? How is Roy's, Tom L's, Ed's or anyone elses in this discussion any different???

wrote in message news:476d4d40$0$2504$>

I guess just cause you seem to have the most fun in doing it.. <BG>
I've been staying out of it mostly cause I see both sides of if. Yes it is a big project. Yes is would be more cost effective to just go buy one. But I've taken on some really stupid projects just because I was bored and wanted something to do. Try building a stock altered class garden tractor puller from scratch sometime when you get bored. Let me know if you want some spare parts.. <BG>
Denny

wrote in message news:476d4d40$0$2504$>

Well, I can't deny that but this time, I'm not really arguing. I'm just looking for a valid reason to take on such a project.

As have I which is why I'm taking the side that I am.

LOL, actually, I may have some questions for you about this very thing. Not that I;m building a competition puller like you do, but I need to convert a small lawn tractor (if you could even call it that) into a landscaping trailer puller for a friend.

wrote in message news:476d4d40$0$2504$>

I guess the best reason is cause he wants to.

Ask away. A torch, grinder and welder and most anything is possible. A metal cutting bandsaw helps a bunch too.
Denny

All I did was state that a similar conversion was done by a neighbor with a Ford truck. I wasn't arguing one way or the other, just stating that they succesfully drove it. I also gave an estimate of how long it took me to add a second battery to my truck which happened to refute nunya's claim that it would require a half day to complete. I regret that you took that as an argument for doing the conversion. How are my statements of what I experienced arguing?
I don't have any bones to pick with you (pun intended). In the past you have stated that I may carry a discussion too far (a claim I can't refute). Maybe I'm not the only one to carry a discussion too far.
wrote in message news:476d4d40$0$2504$>

Ed, you seemed to have missed the entire point. My point to Denny was that I was not arguing with anybody and used similar posts on the other side of the discussion to make my point. I didn't take anything that you said as an argument.

Well, while this isn't a direct refute, and admittedly I only have the posts from the 10th on, here's a count of the number of posts by various people:
You - 16 Roy - 13 Laszlo - 5 Me - 5 Denny - 3
You're outpacing the guy who started the thread more than 3:1. If you're not arguing, then you sure do have a lot of opinions on how others should spend their time and money.

If your posts in this thread are examples of how you don't argue then I wonder how you post when you do argue (*grin*). But seriously, I wish you and your relations a Merry Christmas, and a prosperous new year.
And the same to you and yours.

"Ed H." < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

<snip>
i am not saying that this job can't be done. i just think that unless a man was unemployed that his time could be better spent building something more unique.
when i estimate a half day for the battery deal i am assuming that there will be at least one if not two trips to the parts store to make this happen. espcially if the donor truck was a wreck. some stuff will be bent, maybe have a cable that was pinched and needs to be replaced. probably need to replace at least one of the battery cable ends if not both. going to at least have to go pick up the second battery. of course i would stop and get a cup of coffee on the way and when i got to the parts store the guys would have to ask how the project is going, how is the ol lady, etc. that blows an hour of my day. i run a business for a living. estimating time is the difference between making a good living and going looking for a job working for the man. if you underestimate your time on every job then you go broke. if you come out with a little extra on every job then you make a living.
remove battery tray & cables from donor. (without further damage) 30 minutes trip to parts store to get everything else for job. 45 minutes straighten bent parts (might as well paint the rusty tray) 20 minutes fit and install in recipient truck 1 hour drink coffee and yabber with wife on phone about useless crap 15 minutes
o.k. just shy of three hours now that i actually bothered to figure it. i might get it done in under two but maybe doesn't pay the light bill, or the tax man, or make payroll on friday.
but don't think i am a playa hater here. i don't even hate the game. i have grand plans to shoehorn one of the hemis i have laying around the shop into my '72 dart some day. of course i know that some day will have to be when i have a month of spare time on my hands. (more like a year) because once i decide to get that deep into the dart the entire power train will have to be replaced. since i will be replacing the power train i might as well paint the thing while it is apart. heck, since we are painting and wrenching it would be a shame to not redo the interior. i know how projects turn out.
i ususally take a full year to restore a motorcycle. of course my projects are done as time permits around work and life. but tear down, mock up, tear down again, paint and powder coat, and final assembly does take some time. if i full timed it i would budget a month to restore just a bike. of course i do the full deal myself including paint work. michael

I know what you mean - that's how I work on my house. I can plan well for vehicle repairs though. Maybe it's because I like working on vehicles, but don't enjoy working on my house that much, but I haven't had to go to the autoparts store more than once for any given repair in the last 5-8 years. However, to change a simple faucet...

Rule of my house...... All home repair projects need four trips to Lowe's to finish....
Denny

change out the springs and shocks in 30 minutes??? i would pay money to see it done that quickly. post the video on youtube when you pull that off. it takes me that much time to gather the tools and parts.

once again, 20 minutes to remove the old and put in the new? you just going to sawzall off the brackets and let the rest go? no bolt on exhaust i have ever put on went as smoothly as the manufacturer claimed. i need to know how to deal with rusty wrung off bolts and such in a nascar pitstop timeframe. i'll bet a cup of coffee this takes at least half a day. once again post the video to youtube.

no, not rocket science but time more time on the job. bet it takes another half a day for this one.

you may be correct. i was assuming that the way the moco does things the tanks would be different especially considering the fuel pump differences. all that aftermarket non factory change stuff you mentioned will work but i like to stick with factory stuff.

because the transmision is different for the diesel than the gas burner. thus the overall length will probably differ. especially when you consider the mounting points of all components may change.

lets see.... a ram 2500 of this generation with a 360 ships with a 5 speed nv4500 transmission. the 2500 with a cummins shipped with a 6 speed nv5600 tranny. different mounting, different lengths thus a different length drive shaft. o.k. so the OP could just have the length of his curent driveshaft changed. may as well do new universals while your at it. how fast can you do this? it takes me an hour just to take the part to the driveshaft guy and deal with him and get back to the shop. that doesn't count picking it up when its finished.
oh yeah, i am not sure if the transfer case changes from the nv4500 to the nv5600 tranny. that is something to at least consider.

actually i thought the taller gear set that came standard on the 2500 series was 3.73. i would change the gear set out even if the ratio stayed the same because i would expext at 162k it was about time to do this and i wouldn't want the additional torque from the cummins twisting on worn out gears. since the truck is 4x4 gear wear is more likely and that is times two since the front axle pulls also.
as i thought about it the OP is going to need a different crossmember also. i am not being but a tad over-dramatic. changing radiator, ac condensor, adding intercooler, entire wiring harness, adding dual battery capability, motor mounts, crossmember, wiring harness, transmission, fitting driveshaft, computer, fuel filler neck and fuel pump or complete fuel tank, air intake system, exhaust system, computer, etc.
so if he uses a donor truck my next question is this. how did it become a donor? if it is a totaled wreck then it was probably hit in the front end and all the cooling stuff is either shot or suspect. why get rid of an engine he knows how it was treated for something that is completely unknown. the last owner may have driven the donor vehicle for a quarter million miles without changing the oil. i can see so many aggrevating scenarios with this, that coupled with the down the road parts/service nightmare of driving a bastardized i can't even comprehend the mindset that would think this is a workable solution.
go to the truck dealership and trade the gas burner for a comparable year model diesel. pay them 5k and be done with it. it will save at least two to three weeks of hard labor and he will be able to walk into the local moco parts dealer and give them the vin number and get the correct part for the rest of the trucks life. michael

I was going to add a smart ass remark to this but it is pointless. So I guess it goes back one knowing one's limitations.
Oh, Tom you don't have to post vids. I think some of these folks do everything with a adjustable wrench while wearing mittens
Laz, enjoy the project!
Roy

Well, I added a duel battery setup in my gas motivated '99 and the longest part of the project was finding a battery tray for the passenger side (I finally opted for a new one from the dealer). Once I had that it took only a few hours, including running wires to the in cab switch, fabricating a bracket to re-locate the stuff that was originally located where the second battery goes, mounting the batttery isolater and connecting it all up. Installing 2 batteries connected in parallel would have taken about 20 minutes, tops.

FWIW, about 10 years ago a neighbor did this same conversion on a Ford. Fortunately, another neighbor had the same year and model except it already had the Diesel and in the evenings, he was willing to park it next to the project truck as a reference. The neighbor and his brother did the work mostly at night - maybe 4 hours each night. IIRC it took about 4 weeks until they were able to fire it up and drive around the block. I moved shortly after they drove it for the first time, so I don't know if they were able to register it (California has some pretty stringent laws regarding engine swaps and emmissions).
NC does not test emissions on trucks with a
GVWR of 8800 or more so that point isn't an
issue.
Laszlo Almasi