help im ignorant when it comes to truck mechanics.

I have a 2002 dodge ram that I recently drove to mexico and broke down. The problem started whena freeze plug came of and I drove the truck approx 3 miles and got hot. The mechanic said that one of the springs in the motor came loose. I drove again and this time after 200 miles the truck made a rattling noise and stoped running. The dodge dealership in mexico said it was the computer which was replaced for almost 1000.00 dollars now there saying its the motor ( pistons,valves and head that need replacement for a grand total of 6500.00 us dollars, my question is how much would a NEW OR REBUILD MOTOR COST ME?

Reply to
Augi

Which engine do you have?

Reply to
Nosey

If a freeze plug came out and you lost coolant and drove engine for a bit, you may have overheated heat and damaged it and /or warped the heads too cause it to leak coolant internally which is deadly to engine internals. Not sure what you call a rattle but you may have some very serious problems. Pull dipstick and look at it and smell it too. .

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Augi,

I'd have it towed to the US first. Just go get a friends truck and dolly and pull her home. I'd guess it needs a motor too. After all that I'd never trust that motor. Check with the dealer to see if it still has a warranty. Why would you be loosing a freeze plug in May?

I'd also tell the Mexico mechanic to shove it and get your old computer put back in the truck and a full refund! Guess thieving mechanics isn't just a US odditiy :)

Randolf

Reply to
randolf_scott

Randolf

What month do you think freeze plugs should fail?

Ken W

Reply to
Ken

I guess in May in south of the equator they could fall out.

Reply to
GeekBoy

When freeze plug fail, it is a sure sign of bad or inproper antifreeze protection.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Reply to
Dave Lee

As an American citizen you can kiss your money good by Tow your truck to the USA before it disappears & have a long block engine installed or get one from a wrecked truck Guessing you have a 318 magnum & yes it will probably cost $5K less if you get a used engine. At this point you have NO choice. It may have had a freeze plug that was improperly installed from the factory?? When you lost the coolant you should have NEVER driven the truck. Should have called a tow truck

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Bad advice in my opinion. Last thing we need is another one of those lunatics running around screaming fraud and trying to get free work out of hard working and honest mechanics.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

Ranfolf

Reply to
randolf_scott