FORD MECHANICS HELP !!!

I have a Ford Escort Diesel 1.8 Turbo ( N ) reg. Can someone please tell me how I disable the factory immobiliser. When I bought the car someone had got new keys cut because the original ones were worn. The new ones don't have the little red chip on it, so now I'm having to hold the old key against the ignition barrel to start the car with the new key !! .. it's bloody annoying !!!

Thanks,

Paul.

Reply to
Jamber

The message from "Jamber" contains these words:

You could tape the old key against the underside of the steering column. Or get a couple of new keys cut with the right chip.

Or, just possibly the new keys do have the right chip but the system just hasn't been taught to recognise them.

Reply to
Guy King

There should be a glass phial inside your key. This contains the chip, which has the Ford PATS code.

If you've got the non remote key, there's a flap on the top, which allows you to slide it out.

If you extract this, you should be able to put it in your new key - problem solved.

Reply to
Chris Howard

It's a non-ECU controlled diesel, so there's only really two places the immobiliser can work:

a) The starter motor circuit b) The fuel shut-off solenoid

Of the above two, if the engine still turns over with the immobiliser active then it would be the second option. Simple to bypass, just run a wire from the solenoid to the ignition switch (pos II contact).

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

try taking out the fuses one by one, starting with the aircon fuse (even if it doesn't have aircon) jeremy

Reply to
jeremy

If you really do want to disable the immobiliser then you need to do the following -

Find some method to overcome the starter immobilizer. Not entirely sure, but it might be possible just by bridging the starter relay in the fuse box (I think the relay just breaks the starter circuit when the immobilizer is active). Remove the immobilizer module from the back off the injection pump, and put an ignition feed straight onto the stop solenoid (there should be an ignition feed going to the immbolizer module)

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Moray Cuthill (moray_dot snipped-for-privacy@v21.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ummm, if it's that simple, is there any point in having an immobiliser? Other than basic thieving-sprog proofing, it seems a little trivial to defeat.

Yes, yes, it's a 9 year old diseasel Fraud Scrote, so hardly prime nicking target (they're more likely to leave you matching one) - but...

Reply to
Adrian

Well, when my friend called out the RAC to get her sierra started the guy said "I really shouldn't tell you this..." pulled out the aircon fuse (on a car with no aircon) and voila.. no immobiliser. jeremy

Reply to
jeremy

Getting the immboilizer module of the back of the injection pump is the hard bit. It involves removing all injector pipes, then getting in and removeing the 2 bolts (which are security sheer bolts on the later ones), which hold a nice thick welded steel cover in place over the immobilizer module. Underneath all that is still the same old injection pump complete with normal stop solenoid.

Not the easiest of jobs, but it can be done. It's like all security systems, if somebody wants to get past it, they'll get past it.

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Very good - especially given the trolly ref later.

Hmmm I wasn't aware that shopping trollies were fitted with immobilisers! Perhaps that would explain why the sodding things never go in the direction pushed tho ;-) Maybe it only acts on one wheel :)

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

I don't mind. As long as they come round to work on my scrapheaps for free, and under expert supervision. Let's face it: if they go on a car maintenance course they'd be one-up on many legal drivers.

Jeez, this world is upside down and inside out ;-)

Reply to
DocDelete

Assuming you don't have a red key, you can simply go to a Ford dealer and get a new red key programmed, from that you can then cut new black keys.

There isn't an easy way to disable the PATS system on these, as they use a control unit under the dash that has about a dozen plain black wires going to them.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Actually, they did start fitting an ECU (EEC V) control in 1995 to the Diesels. It was fairly rudimentary control though, and only controlled the timing. It also cuts the fuel inside the pump via a signal from the ECU, which in turn recieves a signal from the PATS box.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Remove the chip from the old key, and stick it to the inside of the steering column cowling, adjacent to the barrel.

Reply to
SimonJ