how do you get to @#^%&^*( water temp sending unit??

I wanted to remove temp sending unit on a '96 2500 w/Cummins. I know where the sender is supposed to be but I can't lay a eyeball on it - it's well hidden (drivers side rear below #6 valve cover).
I reached my hand in there and think I found it once but I could not duplicate the feat later. I removed the drivers side wheel liner but I could not see it. Crawled under the truck but I could not see it.
Help! How can I get to this little beastie? Or is this a trick question?? :-)
how can it be a trick question if you ask it? :)
--
Billy
1995 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins