OT: spiders in trucks

Well, y'all almost lost a poster yesterday... I've been on vacation (Tasmania, for the curious), and the truck's been sitting quietly here at home.
Fortunately, I was in a parking lot when the huntsman spider [1] who'd taken up residence under the hood, crawled out to hide behind the driver's side mirror! It wasn't the biggest spider I've ever seen, perhaps 4" across, but pretty damn big when one's peripheral vision (and primitive instinct) registers it!
Nearly had a heart attack, and did come to a "screeching" halt (I was going all of 5mph) until I realized it was outside the window...
[1] http://www.amonline.net.au/factSheets/huntsman_spiders.htm "Huntsman spiders are large, long-legged spiders, measuring up to 15 cm (6") across the legs."

Wow! Friggin' big.
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:15:21 +0930, jmc

holy cow!
Bite
Huntsman spider bites usually result only in transient local pain and swelling. However, some Badge Huntsman spider bites have caused prolonged pain, inflammation, headache, vomiting and irregular pulse rate.
pal, i'd be doing whatever i had to in order to find any egg sac that thing might have left behind and then to go absolutely primitive on it. that thing is nasty.

I think Huntsman's qualify as pets compared to funnelweb spiders?

All spiders are terrorists. Kill with extreme prejudice.
:-) Craig C.
Suddenly, without warning, Craig C. exclaimed (09-Feb-07 2:00 AM):

Gotta be careful with those stereotypes :) We do not kill what's called a daddylongleg here (looks like what I used to call 'tub spiders' as a kid, not like US daddylonglegs). They're harmless to humans, but consider redbacks (black widows, very dangerous and very very common) prey. Seen it with my own eyes.
Huntsmen I generally don't kill because of the mess it'd make :)
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, BigIronRam exclaimed (09-Feb-07 1:33 AM):

Sydney funnel web spiders are one of the scariest things I've ever seen. They can be pretty big (at least as big as that huntsman)... When threatened, they rear up on their hind legs and display a pair of fangs that'd do a rattlesnake proud. Fortunately I've only ever seen one in a museum.
When I was here first tour, and was still an arachnaphobe, I went to Brisbane on a business trip. Went to a local university...had to leave. On every surface were these spiders called Golden Orb Weavers... they make the Huntsman look small, some of them were over 8" long!
I'm no longer an arachnaphobe, thanks to Australia (thousands of redbacks in your back yard will either cure ya or kill ya <g>). If that huntsman crawls across my foot when I'm driving though (it's sandals weather here), I'm pretty sure I'll still have a wreck...
Haven't seen him since that first day. Hopefully he's decided that a moving home isn't for him...
Actually, I find Australia's spiders pretty fascinating - from a distance. Actually, most Aussie fauna is pretty interesting.
jmc
Dear god that thing is hideous. Remind me to take a DDT shower if I ever go to Australia.

copperhead fall out onto my feet. I don't know who was more scared, me or the snake. I never did figure out how he got in there and I always looked before getting in that truck after that.
beekeep

Damn!!! And to think that I thought ole Roy was ugly.......
I'm glad it was you....I'd have shit myself.....I hate spiders....
Denny

Damn! My feelings are injured.<VBG>
Roy

Hope you're over it by the time you get here...You'd probably have to eat more to help the healing process... <BG>
Denny

Well your paying for it.<VBG>
Roy

Now that I think about it, it won't be bad. Just went on a diet. Been pretty much on my ass for the past few months with the exception of a of 2-3 mile walk a day. Now with the wind chill below 0 that has stopped. Sure comes off a hell of a lot harder than putting it on. There's a easy one for ya.<BFG>
Roy

that I'll start a new thread on. <VBG>
Denny

You, my friend are also full of it!

Damn jackel!!! <BG>
Roy

jmc wrote:

If it were me, at only 5 mph in an empty parking lot there still would have been an accident. At least one inside the cab.
--
Ken