OT Vacum cleaners!!!

Page 3 of 7

I envy you. Enjoy!!!!
Roy

Roy wrote:

My pension is enough to cover my bills but it's not enough to maintain my lifestyle. I have some home repairs to finish then I'm going to get serious about another job. I had a water line break in my upstairs bathroom and it did quite a bit of damage. I've been looking at job openings but I want to get my house in order before starting somewhere full time.
--
Ken

I've been going back and forth over this for some time. We spent the entire morning going over expenses. My pension will be adaquate but my wife is 10 years younger so medical insurance becomes a issue. Living here in MA is a expensive deal. Been looking hard at Fla. as I have a brother/siter in law there. Seems I could sell this house and buy one the same size and put about 150K in my pocket. Already found I'd save about1K on auto and homeowners insurance. now to get some figures on tax's and the like. One phone calll to my organized sister in law should provide the rest of the info. Now to get my wife a job teaching there.

Water damage is a bitch but repairable Drywall and Kilz or Bin

Careful how much you make. Mine put's alimit on it.
Roy

What part of Florida?
Teaching positions always seem to be in demand. She shouldn't have any trouble as long as there are no extra requirements for teaching in that state.

My insurance company sent out a crew to dry the house out right away. They had dehumidifiers and fans running for about a week. They drilled holes in the walls under the baseboard so they could get hoses blowing air into them. All the wet insulation and carpeting got removed right away so there won't be a mold problem later. I stripped the wallpaper in the bathroom on Saturday and there isn't any drywall damage there. I think the wallpaper saved it. I did prime the walls with Kilz so I wouldn't have a problem with the paint not sticking to the remaining trace amount of wallpaper adhesive. I painted that bathroom yesterday and laid out a floor template today. I start cutting wonderboard tomorrow for the new tile floor. The vinyl flooring was ruined but the subfloor is still solid. The garage is under that room. The ceiling drywall got ruined down there so it got removed. That made it convenient to inspect the flooring from underneath. After that bathroom is finished I'm going to tile the floor in the master bathroom too. There isn't any water damage in there but I want to pull up the vinyl to fix the squeaks. I'm also going to install wainscoting in the master bath but I don't want to put it up until the floor is done. I stripped the wallpaper and painted the upper 2/3 of those walls a couple of weeks ago. The master bedroom is getting new carpet as well as the hallway. I'm installing laminate flooring in the dining room and living room. All of that should keep me busy for a while.

I retired from the Navy. I keep the pension no matter how much I make. Maybe I'll buy a Snap-On franchise....
--
Ken

Around Palm Coast. About 30 miles north of Daytona

Talked to sis in law she says teaching job are around. Also found out the property tax is up there as well. Everything else seems to be less costly, auto insurance utilities municipal services. Also it is warm. Gotta see what develops though over the next year. Thinking about driveing down there for a couple of weeks in July to try and get a better feel for things.

Sounds like you have a full plate for a bit.

That's another thing I have to look at. I've the grey ID card so any military installation in the area is a plus.

Had to go there didn't ya!<VBG>
Roy

Mac

He's around, heard from him yesterday. Probably wondering when Denny will share "the machine".<G>
Roy

yep.. we exchange email a lot.. he's a cranky as ever.. *g*
Mac
Ken,
Where did you serve?
My eldest son was in the Navy at JAX NAS, in the HS-7 Squadron on board the Truman until a couple years ago.
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,
Budd Cochran wrote:

I remember talking to you about Bryon when I was going to be on the Truman in 2002 for fleet week. My career was a bit strange. I did 20 years of active duty with the reserves. That whole time I only saw two foreign countries, and I drove to both of them on leave. I did travel a bunch here though. I've been in 48 of the 50 states (never been to Idaho or Oregon). During my sea duty periods I spent more time on detachments than most regular Navy spend at sea. I know that isn't exactly the same, but sure is alot of time away from home. For permanent duty stations I've been in Virginia Beach VA (VC-12), Willow Grove PA (station), Fort Worth TX (station), Atlanta GA (VFA-203), back to Fort Worth TX (VFA-201). I've worked on A-4s for 5 years, ran two cryogenic chemical facilities for 8 years, and worked on F/A-18s for 7 years. I retired from Fort Worth and moved back to Atlanta in November. My retirement was "official" on the first of this month.
--
Ken

So, what have you got planned for the future?
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,
Budd Cochran wrote:

I'm looking into technical colleges. I signed up for the GI bill when I first entered. I have 10 years to use it or lose it. I have a huge amount of technical training and experience but I don't have an A&P license or any ASE certifications. Most places hiring want those certificates.
Any ASE or A&P mechanics got any advice gaining certifications? Anything to watch out for?
--
Ken

I'm not an A&P mechanic, but Bryon was an AMAN while in working on the HS-7 Choppers. I practically begged him to get his cert on powerplants, but he wanted to go to collision repair school on discharge.
A&P certs can bring home some really good money, if you like the work. If not, do something you love doing.
I'm still trying to get my own fishing show, for example, but no one thinks a show for and by vintage flatulencers would work. I even pointed out Bill Dance and they didn't want to try it. . . .
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,

Ha! If you get the show and need a fishing partner/beer handler, let me know!
--
Ken

Oh, great!
Now I've got two wanting the costar seat, you and my kid brother.
There is a minimum age requirement. You have to be 51 or older.
<VBG>
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,
Budd Cochran wrote:

I'll wait. That's only 12 years away. Happy Birthday, too.
--
Ken

DURN KIDS!!!!!!!!!
Sheesh . . .
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,

thanks, Ken... I just passed that comment on to my kid in the Army... He's got 6 years in and we just talked him into singing up for another 4..
We keep telling him to get his degrees and do his 20 and then have a real life... Mac
cant speak for the a&p, but take the ase tests. check out ase.org the questions are tech a says this tech b says that. who's right?
kinda like in here *grin*
--
-Chris
05 CTD
Christopher Thompson wrote:

Ase.org is an energy website. I checked ase.com and found some info. Thanks.
--
Ken