overdrive possible?

Page 1 of 2
Hi Folks,
Got a '96 2500 4x4. Is there any way to add an overdrive to this rig? I'm hearing lots of noise about fuel prices getting ready to take off
-- trying to find a way to squeeze a little better mileage....
Jim

Workers in the oil industry saying about rumors of $15 a gallon for fuel within 5 years.

Funny, I heard a rumor that Exxon expects $20 a barrel for crude in the future. I guess ya never know.
--
Max

My guess is that the Gulf comes back online more efficiently, and the influx of bio diesel and ethanol, as well as other sources of fuel, such as coal, will lower demand on crude oil.
Plus I'm a firm believer in the fact that part of the rise in prices is due more to speculation on the futures market than actual demand.
--
Max

A 96 2500 4x4 has OD already. Adding an additional OD would be counterproductive.
--
Max

You mean a second overdrive, like a GearVendors (http://www.gearvendors.com ) or US Gear (http://www.usgear.com ) ?
One of them makes a unit for a 4x4 - I forget which. Be prepared to spend some cash...
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 05:18:38 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

***

You already have OD. If you are seriously concerned about MPG improvements, lower it if it is lifted and run stock type smooth treaded tires at near max pressure as this will improve MPG more than adding another com[ound OD which might actually make MPG even worse because it does not chamge the amount of power required to move truck down the road. (it actually increases it slightly because of addition power losses in a second OD unit because they are not 100% efficent. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

And he could always put lower ratio axle gears.

engine and load, MPG will decrease further. No hard set universal rules here to go by. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Jim Dobbs wrote:

for a 4x4. But it's expensive. You would have to buy a lot of fuel and drive a lot of miles to make it pay off. The bottom line is, a Dodge is a pig. There's not much you can do to change that. The best thing you can do is make sure the truck is well tuned, tires are properly inflated, and go easy on the gas pedal. Keep in mind a Harley Dyna gets 45 mpg ;)
--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

***
clare wrote:

Every day on a Harley is a good day :)
--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

beekeep
Darn it, Greg. That was my secret and you gave it away.
Of course, a 250 pound Cushman would be considerably less to push when the situation rises.
VBG
--
Budd Cochran

"beekeep" < snipped-for-privacy@radix.net> wrote in message
But by the time you get that on the road, we will all be driving electric vehicles powered by cold fusion :-)
"Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@preciscom SPAM.net> wrote in message
What does it matter to you?
It's my scooter and I'm not building it to please you.
--
Budd Cochran

John 3:16-17, Ephesians 2:8-9