Re: Back to the LSD diff thing... Auburn, Eaton, or Detroit?

MS Networking Dude wrote: (sorry, meant to cross-post this to both groups which I did with this reply).

Ace

Reply to
MS Networking Dude

Gots to lay off the caffeine... Here's the original post in 'dodge.truck' (f/ups set to both) ___________________________________________________________ I want to first thank you for all the info and help you guys and the others have helped with this topic far.

I went to a local speed shop (K&G) to talk to one of the guys I used to deal with many years ago. After the usual amenitites we got into it and he told me he hasn't sold an Auburn in 6 years claiming due to many of the guys think it has a bad cone design and it's not rebuildable. He liked the Eatons or the Detroit Truetrac or Suretrac.

Can bother you guys one more time about comparisons and your personal and professional opinions between the differences?

  1. I like the Auburn design and appreciate the link from TBone. I like the hi-bias specs (around 3.5:1), but the unit is not rebuildable and has to be replaced when worn. They give a 4 year warranty and along with 0 they'll send you a new unit.

  1. The Eaton looks nice as well, which they're advertising as bullet-proof, but I didn't see any bias specs on it.

  2. Detroit
    a.) The Detroit Truetrac has no clutches with a unique helical geardesign, and claims 2.5 to .3.5 to 1 bias, the same on the highend as Auburn,but not sure what it means by controlled resistance with one wheel spinoutsgiving the other wheel gets sufficient power to get the vehicle moving. Doesthat mean the wheel with traction will not grab but just get you out of arut? How about hi-horsepower situations? Will it grab and take off? I'vehad a Detroit Locker before and don't want to go that route because it'sjust way too much for the street and IMO just a track unit, but this Trutraclooks like the benign version of the Locker and looks interesting. b) Detroit Suretrac® /Detroit LSD has cluthes and can be adjusted togive 1.5 to 3.0:1 or 2.5 to 4.0:1 bias. Overkill or is the Truetrac thebetter unit?

  1. The Trac-Lok seems to be the actual part that Ford, Dodge, Jeep use in their LSD offerings. Stock... forget it or if I were to get this, I would just order it from Dodge.

  2. The Power-lok Posi looks nice with the 4 pinion gears with stackable clutches, but not that I'll be taking the thing apart anytime soon.

Confused...

TIA, Ace

Jaws Gear & Axle - Auburn, Eaton and Tru-trac:

MS Networking Dude

What you need to ask is what those other guys are using their vehicles for and use that as part of your decision. If they are stuffing them in muscle cars or serious off road vehicles, then you need to take that into account compared to the way you intend to drive.

Actually, I am unaware of Auburn putting a time limit on their exchange program. That seems like some garbage that particular vendor is doing and if you still are thinking abiut the Auburn, I would contact them directly to find out.

bullet-proof,

The Auburn site has some specs on it. As far as bullet-proof goes, that really depends on how hard you intend to push it. If you are just using it for added traction on the street then is that durability and the added cost for it really needed? Only you can answer that. As far as the ability to rebuild it, if the parts cost upwards of $100 dollars, how much better off are you, especially if it is you that has to do it with no warranty on your success and if you have your mechanic do it, that is more of his time and your money.

Yes it does but it is neither as quiet or as smooth as a clutch type and costs $$$ more. It is a good unit and if you feel that you need its durability then it may be the way to go for you.

That is something that only you can answer depending on your realistic needs.

Yes, that is the factory unit and is no more durable and much less effective than the other units above.

Unless you intend to put any of them through some serious abuse, I doubt that you would need to rebuild any of them but since I don't know you or how you drive, that is just my opinion. I will not try to convince you to buy any particular diff. I looked at them all and after comparing the specs, performance, amd price of all of the units against my specific needs, the Auburn won out for me (most bang for the buck).

With this much money involved, I can see why. Take your time and think about it before you make any selection. There is nothing wrong with your current setup so there is no need to panic and make a choice that you may later regret.

Reply to
TBone

They're all muslce car - 1/4 mile heads. That's why they're blowing out rears and went with Detroit Lockers. Like I mentioned ealier, I had a Detroit Locker many years ago and one thing I definitely remember it was noisy, but it was pretty cool the way it worked, turned heads. Do I need it? Like you said, prob not.

You're right. This site costs a bit more and said for the $100 *with* reciept and under 4 years you get a new one.

But Auburn's site said under 4 years you DON'T need the receipt, but you do only after 4 years. I guess that's to eliminate someone taking an old diff and trying to get a new one for cheap if they weren't the ones that bought it, along with the serial/date stamp. PDF- Return Policy - Qualifications_for_the_D-REX_Program:

Good point. Either way, *I* won't be doing it.

That what it looks like to me too. More for the $$. Blows away stock units and it's quiet too. Wife can drive it too without needing to understand how the TrueTrac works, if she ever gets the guts to. She's afraid of the truck.

My driving normal? Not really. I do push it sometimes, only because I expect the thing to function as advertised. I'm hard on vehicles. I also own a 2003 Jeep GC 4.7HO QuadraDrive (gave it to my wife when I got the truck). QuadraDrive is their all 4 Vari-Lock LSD version. Prior to that I had a 2000 Jeep GC V8 QuadraDrive too, with a V8. In both Jeeps I blew the rears out and the transfer case in the 2000. Yes, my driving. I knew I did it too. Between punching them and once towing a 3000lb stump grinder. I'm not that subtle with vehicles. That's why I buy the extended warranties. I think the transfer case blow-out was from the stump grinder. After it happened, they both made a strong chatter making left turns or left U-turns, and the 2000 I lost 4HI (but not 4LO) completely with the transfer case whining contantly . The extended warranty paid for itself after that. :-)

After reading more on the Auburn's, they seem the way to go. Will a stump grinder tow blow it? Maybe I should just be careful next time. hehe.

The Detroit TrueTrac, although nice, maybe a bit of a pain when you have to hit the break pedal to induce torque for the thing to lock or engage at low-speed spinouts (getting out of a parking spot in 12" of snow). It's not available yet for this truck (9.25") anyway, until July 05. Detroit quoted $425.00 as targeted price, but that may have been wholesale. The Auburn

540270 is $393.00 at Peyton. I found a distributor about 10 miles away in the Philly area. I'll check their price tomorrow.

TBone, thanks. I didn't want to sound like a super newbie novice, but I guess it's been 25 years since I've dealt with hi-end hi-perf parts and just wanted to get someone's opinion on the differences and what they would choose and why. If I had a track car, the Detroit Locker is what I would prob get. But more and more the Auburn looks like the way to go.

Thanks for your time. :-)

Ace

ps. The next thing I'm doing is the Superchip or something similar to see what I can get out of it.

Reply to
MS Networking Dude

If you had one before you know what to expect. You will most likely never break it. They are reliable. Most of the people that even know what a differential is know about Detroit Lockers. If you are going to spend the money on a new differential you may as well get one. That noise is just a reminder of what you have. You will grow to love that sound just like the diesel engine clatter. I've never heard anyone complain about their turbo whistling too loudly either. DC even went as far as to put a turbo silencer (easily removed) on the intake inlet for some unknown reason.

Reply to
Nosey

You're right. I got used to the sound when I can hear it over the loud pipes. The Detroit TrueTrac is what I was thinking of getting, but just understanding it's usability, such as getting my wife tounderstand to apply a little brake pedal to induce torque for it to lock up getting out of a snow pile, may be an issue. Back then I had no wife...Girlfriend yes, but that one understood muscle cars! :-)

That's a big reason why I'm leaning to TBone's recommendation for the Auburn.

Ace

Reply to
MS Networking Dude