recomendations on EGTs

alright id like to know a few thoughts on witch EGT gauge to get, mounting solutions, and where/how to put the sensor on a 05 cummins.
tia
chris

For a single gauge, the Mopar SRT-10 A-pillar is a good choice. Available from Geno's Garage (http://www.genosgarage.com ), it will replace the stock A-pillar trim with one that has a molded-in gauge holder (this is used from the factory on SRT-10 Rams to hold an oil temp. gauge). It retains your grab handle, so there's no downside to using it.
To match your truck's gauges, either a DiPricol (although some, myself included, don't like the big white center cap) or an ISSPRO EV-series are the closest match to the factory gauges. I personally run an Autometer Phantom, but that's because I went with a full compliment of Autometer gauges.
As for mounting the thermocouple, you want it in the exhaust manifold, where it will do the most good. Drill/tap a hole right above the turbo mounting flange, in the rear-most of the two passages. This will measure the EGT's from the rear cylinders, which run a little hotter than the rest. Start with a cooled-off engine, and duct-tape off the exhaust tip, then poke a small hole through the duct tape. You want to create some backpressure. Next, start the engine, and while wearing gloves and goggles (or a faceshield), drill a 21/64" (or 11/32", or even 5/16" will work - but 21/64" is the closest to the 'correct' size) into the manifold. All the chips will be blown back out at you, so watch yourself (but better at you than into your turbo). Now you can shut the truck off, remove the duct tape, and let it cool a bit.
Get a 1/8"-27 NPT pipe tap, and load up the flutes with grease. Now carefully tap the hole you drilled. You'll probably want to go 5-6 full turns on the tap to get the thread depth correct. Turn the tap until it gets a bite of the metal, and you feel good resistance to turning it. Then back it off 1/4-turn, and go forward again. That will break the chip off, and embed it in the grease. You want to tap deep enough so that the probe threads in 3 full turns.
Once that's done, just put the probe in, and hook up it's wiring to the gauge. Do NOT cut the probe wires to length - coil up the excess underneath the dash.
For lighting, you can tap the larger-of-the-two orange/black wires from the headlamp switch (this is the dimmer circuit). For a switched +12V, you can tap the red wire from the cigarette lighter. For ground, you can use the grounding screw on the lower dash frame, behind the knee blocker panel.
thanks tom.

I like the idea of the duct tape...sounds alot better than fishing with a little magnet. I need to do this also.

The "little magnet" works fine. I just did it on my 2005 2500. Its important to use plenty of grease on the drill bit and also the tap. Go slow, taking small "bites" at a time. Mine is mounted pre turbo in the down tube going to the turbo. After mounting the probe (use some anti-seize on it) , I started up the engine and let it idle for a couple of minutes. Working great.
"Termite" wrote:

This is a good place to do it. You want it as close to the exhaust ports as possible to get a truer reading because the gas is cooling the further it expands and the further it gets from the exhaust ports.
Also i forgot. The drill and tap size is dependant on the probe size. I used Isspro gauges and the probe was 1/4"