Slow leak in tires - found the reason

I have a 2000 Dakota Quad 4x4 with the nice rims and over sized tires. Over the last two months the driver side tires have lost about 5# of air per week, it was driving me crazy - I though the valve stems were bad but
could never find a leak.
I took it to the place where I bought the tires (2 years ago) and their first comment was Aluminum Rims? yes. Oh, you've got corroded rims - it was shocked, almost didn't believe them, as I've never even read about this.
Sure enough, they took the tires off the rims and the dang bead area was corroded - they used scotchbrite on a wheel and made them smooth and shiney again and now they seem to hold air just fine.
I just thought I would pass this along - they said that 60% of their slow leakers are due to this.
--
Leythos
snipped-for-privacy@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

beekeep
(remove 999 for proper email address)

Umm..why would fools do that?

don't follow NA$CAR.
beekeep

(remove 999 for proper email address)

That is what air valve is for.
And no I don't watch that garbage. I have a life than to watch idiots drive in circles.

I suspect there is more to racing than driving in circles. However, that's about what it looks like from my point of view.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

large crooked circle. I personally like to watch it. I also like to watch idiots drive in a straight line a 1/4 mile at a time.
--
Ken

Yeah right..I once saw them put NASCAR fools on a Gran Prix track back in '96.
There were more wrecks on that once course than all of NASCAR racing season.

It's obvious you don't understand auto racing. There's more to it then driving in circles.
I bet you watch tennis and the garden network.

And drinking beer and speaking with a twang

beekeep

That was showing when he showed up here.

Richard Petty switched to Pontiacs; 2. They quit driving cars that you could at least buy a version of at the dealer; 3. Richard Petty retired.
But I wouldn't put anyone down for making the choice to watch it or anything else. Personal choice is an important part of being free.
Ken
Leythos wrote:

When I had a slow leaker spare tire, I had the tire removed, cleaned up the area where the bead seats, and spraypainted it with several coats of enamel. In several years since, it hasn't leaked a bit. Bryan

Ford had problems with porous Aluminum wheels on Mustangs. They came up with an epoxy paint to cure it. Remove the tire, clean the inside, and paint it.
Al