Somewhat OT: Bad karma and social problems

Page 6 of 7
Roy wrote:

Thanks! Still not planning to quit my day job yet.
Craig C. -- He's YOUR god. They're YOUR rules. YOU burn in hell.

The cartoon was funny. But gotta tell ya the sig is a bit much imo, but then again it is your sig. Ya gotta do what feels good.<G>
Roy

I saw it on a bumper sticker today. Intense ... but applicable in certain situations.
Craig C.

It is that.
Roy

Mike Simmons wrote:

I think the difference is you're smart and don't make an ass out of yourself regularly. The lack of the 7-lines worth of religious spam Budd insists on shoving in his posts gives everyone an easy target.
JS

Mike, I'm sure many of us here are Christians and most could care less what anyone's religion is. Budd has become a troll and that is not a religion. The best way to kill a troll is to starve him to death. Most here haven't figgured that out yet. Maybe its that big sign on Budd's back that says "KICK ME."
Personally, I feel sorry for him. There was a time when he had a sense of hummor and posted some usefull information here. Those days are gone and he now lives in the first century.
beekeep
beekeep wrote:

Thats true. He used to be quite a nice guy I had many good conversations with. Something happened and he now feels it is his calling to 'correct' those that differ in their views. It happens all too often with religious fanatics. They always seem to take the route that drives people away which is opposite of their intentions.

in all fairness, i think there may be some health issues involved, at least thats what i read into it. that is tough and there is very little more stressfull than health issues. our mortality can hit us hard. i admit, he can be hard to take but i honestly feel badly about the health issues and what i have seen here. i try to keep that in mind anymore before i respond to him and hopefully that will temper my response.
snipped-for-privacy@whatever.net wrote:

Could be. I have some very serious health issues myself. They get me down and I get into bad moods. But I like to think I don't take it out on others. Hope I don't!

Most have issues or stress of one sort or another. It does not give them the right to be a idiot. Kinda like you walk into a bar and get a smack in the head and somebody say's you have to excuse them 'cause they are drunk. I don't think so.
Roy wrote:

I like Ron Whites story about getting drunk in a bar and being tossed out into the street. The police arrest him for being drunk in public. He complains that he was drunk in the bar and got thrown out into public.

Yup, he's a real funny guy. I've one of his dvd's around here.
Roy
miles, how's things up north these days?

azwiley1 wrote:

Doing pretty good. Business is great. Finally starting to get some nice weather. Is the wind still blowing down there? I don't think I've visited on a no wind day! I need to get down there one of these days. Nice area.

No, weather is not too bad right now. Getting chilly at night, but it is still nice enough to ride the motorcycle. Wind has gone, thank god
Budd Cochran wrote:

The tribes fight being weaned off of support and towards self reliance. Their main attempt is through gambling rather than a more substantial economic infrastructure. Failure to wean themselves causes oppression.
Really? That's not what I keep hearing from the Dine', the Cherokee, the Ute, Lakota.
Maybe the gambling is the way they found they can finally win against the white man and hit him where it hurts the most, his wallet.
--
Budd Cochran

Suddenly, without warning, Budd Cochran exclaimed (31-Oct-06 3:17 PM):

Here, they're doing it a bit more constructively, with tourism (as mentioned earlier, Uluru/Kata Tjuta were returned to the traditional owners some years before - including the Yulara. Good cash cow, that.
jmc

You're talking to the Cherokee in Utah?
beekeep
Suddenly, without warning, Budd Cochran exclaimed (30-Oct-06 11:49 PM):

They certainly were treated poorly in the past, but most of their problems today are self-inflicted, or a problem of individuals. Show me a *current* law, in either country, that subjugates either peoples.

Well, duh. Of course. Nothing stopping them really, if they're willing to work at it. Plenty of Aboriginals are still here, either on a station, leading a traditional or pastoral (ranching) life, or living in town, integrated into the modern world.

I don't even know what you mean by that. Whites throwing their weight around by making sure Aboriginals that commit crimes get off are throwing their weight around? To you, this should be a good thing: You seem to support reverse discrimination.

That's the biggest damn copout I've ever heard. I do NOT consider this a valid excuse. I, myself, grew up verbally and emotionally abused - being told by my father that I was worthless, and believed it for a time. Never did I fall into a bottle. I just slowly picked up the shattered pieces of my self esteemed and proved the bugger wrong!
Plenty of Aboriginals, and American Indians, have done the same, and continue to do so. To say they're justified in falling into a bottle is really doing them a disservice.
"Abo", by the way, is a pejorative, much like the N word for African-Americans.

Doubt that, really, though she's entitled to that opinion. Since that's then, and this is now, the point is moot: There's no way to know for sure since we can't go into the past and experiment with events.
Human nature, really, they'd argue about who gets what bit of land, each side of course wanting the best bits, and in the end, I imagine we'd still be were we are today. Not all the atrocities between Whites and Indians were committed by the Whites, or even directly caused by some action by whites.
Interestingly enough, this part of history has gone very differently for the Aboriginal. They own great swaths of land across the continent, and are gaining control of many more due to the Land Rights Act - like the city of Perth, in Western Australia: http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid91&sid 0286 as an example. They now own and control Uluru - Kata Tjuta National Park (Ayres Rock, The Olgas), which is the biggest tourist spot in Central Australia. Understandably, it does factor rather largely in their dreamtime, so their ownership of these two really large rocks seems fair to me.
The ridiculous part comes in when they don't try to claim an area until it's making some sort of profit. The Act supposedly says that only gov't owned land can be claimed, and only after rigorous historical research to prove that the claimants are the traditional owners of that land. From what I hear on the news, it doesn't always work that way. Thus, Perth. And some guy who researched a piece of land overlooking the ocean, found no traditional ownership, started to develop it, then some traditional owners popped out of the woodwork - AFTER he'd spent some huge amount of money developing the area. They're not supposed to be able to take privately owned land, but in this case, they're trying. Things like this do not improve relationships between the cultures.
I saw one reference that 13% of the Australian landmass is Aboriginal owned, but that 90% is under claim. No idea if that is accurate or not.

True. But there's no reason at all that this shouldn't already be happening. It seems to be happening here - alcoholism is still a major problem in the Aboriginal communities, but I see many more that, even if they don't have jobs, are clean, normal citizens (many in this neighborhood). And this despite the problems of racism still seen within *both* communities.

Australia has it's "stolen generation" as well, though here it was mostly 'half-caste' kids. We probably got the idea from them, more's the pity. Started around 1900, in some places, it continued to 1970. Note that some parents gave up their kids voluntarily, hoping it'd give them a better life. But all in all, not a pretty picture. BUT, in the past.

I'd think it should be an honor no matter what race the kid is. This sounds like my father's sort of "I'm not a racist! Look, here's my Black friend, Roy". That's how he always mentioned the guy, his Black friend Roy. Not just "my friend Roy", as any color-blind person would.
jmc