stick shift to automatic

Trying to remember if its feasible to switch out stick for an automatic or automatic to stick. What are my options on 2004 stick ? I don't like the stick that comes with the truck . Harder to resell a stick ?

Reply to
Drew Cutter

Only harder if it's a 1500. That's one reason I got the 2500 with manual tranny. Someone looking at a 2500 will most likely be using it to tow or to work in some fashion and will appreciate the manual over the auto. But on the 1500 a manual is suicide when it comes time to sell it.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Reply to
Drew Cutter

ACK...I'd have to pass on that one.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Reply to
Drew Cutter

If it is a V6, then it sorta needs the stick to be able to move at all. I would leave it the way it is and if you don't already own it, stay away from it because even with a gold plated automatic, you will have a hell of a time trying to sell it with that V6.

Reply to
TBone

\ ================= Personally I prefer a stick... I own 6 personal vehicles and only one of them is an automatic... My wife owns one vehicle and it has to be an automatic... Kind of like a swimming pool in the back yard...attacts customers who like a pool...turns away customers who have no use for one...

To be honest I am in my 60's and over the last few months my knees have begun to bother me to the point that I may just have to learn to like an automatic...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I wanted to go the other way on my 1500 when the crap auto tranny went out. After being beat to death by the group I decided it wasnt feasible. Was only possible on the 2500 and up.

Reply to
RM

Ok, I'll ask. Why is it any harder to convert a 1500 then it is to convert a 2500?

Reply to
TBone

Duh.... because the 2500 sits higher, so you have more room to work underneath. Sheesh... EVERYONE knows that! :)

(Yeah, I have no clue, either - but the answer should be enlightening)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I'm really surprised at you. I'd have thought a man of your experience would know that tools to work on a 1500 are much more expensive than the 2500 wrenches. Not to mention the click type torque wrenches are inaccurate on the 1500 series.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I thought the tools for the 2500 were actually larger...negating the additional ground clearance difference.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

TBone, a quote from you regarding this issue.

Tbone Nov 19 2003, 11:45 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.dodge.trucks From: "Tbone" - Find messages by this author Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:40:36 -0500 Local: Wed,Nov 19 2003 11:40 am Subject: Re: Will any NV4500 tranny fit into a 99 ram 1500 4x4? Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

The problem here is that you have no idea of the possible problems that you may run into.

These are all mickey mouse jobs compared to the one that you are planning to undertake.

And this would be your first problem. Just looking isn't gonna tell you shit. Although they may look the same doesn't mean that a few of the trans mounting bolts might not be in slightly different locations. Then there is the small fact of mounting points for the clutch components or access for the hydraulics.

Then why did you buy one?

That is not always true and if properly maintained, seem to do quite well.

Then you consider your time worthless???

An axle swap is easy compared to what you are trying to do.

While that may be true, what you are now attempting is much harder to do but let's talk about that a little. IIRC, you have a 1500 4X4 with an automatic. The bell housing for an automatic will probably not be usable with the NV4500 and will need to be replaced. Then there is the pilot bushing / bearing that will also probably also need to be replaced since I doubt that a torque converter needs the same thing as a clutch. BTW, is this a 360 engine with its external balancing??? Either way, you need to replace the flex plate and torque converted with a flywheel and the

360 has special needs. Now since 1500 and 2500/3500 use different frames and the NV4500 was never offered in the 1500 series, there is a chance that the mounting points between a NV3500 and NV4500 are different and that there is no mount available for this trans in the 1500 (guess who gets to make one?). Then lets not forget that you have a 4WD and that just increases the fun. It would say that the chances are pretty good that the NV4500 will not bolt up to the NV231HD transfer case that your truck uses so guess what? You will need to replace the transfer case as well with the NV241HD which was also not offered in the 1500 series and now we are back to the possible mounting problems again.

While still on the transfer case, does yours have the electric shift or the mechanical linkage. What will the one you are replacing it with have and are you ready to make the necessary changes? Then there is a length issue. I doubt that the length of the trans / transfer case between the current auto and the standard trans are going to be the same so a new set of driveshafts will probably also need to be added to the list. Then there is the electrical problems. The automatic does not use the same wiring harness or computer that the standard shift uses. While the wiring harness issue may not be a killer, the computer can be. IIRC, the computer has the vehicle VIN number as well as stores the mileage and AFAIK, you cannot legally just drop one in from another vehicle without having it reprogrammed.

These things are just a few problems off of the top of my head and I'm sure that there are more of them to think about. I have to agree with the others on this one. Unless this truck has some special value to you, I would just repair the automatic, it probably would cost less and be much faster than the conversion. Then sell the truck and buy one with a 5 speed if that is what you really want.

-- If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving

begin 666 dot_clear.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
RM

Damn, it is scary how long this stuff stays around. The problem is that it really doesn't answer the question. In this case, the OP (was this you?) wanted to convert a 1500 auto to a standard AND use parts from a 2500 to do it. I was explaining that while converting from an automatic to a standard shift is difficult enough as it is, the fact that the vehicle was a 4X4 and the OP wanted to use parts from a different series of truck was going to make it even more difficult, not that is was any more difficult converting a

1500 compared to a 2500 / 3500. Actually, the conversion of a 2500 / 3500 may be a little more difficult because the damn parts are heavier.
Reply to
TBone

I am probably the only one who remembers since it was my question. It is scary that it never goes away. Still want a damn stick though!

Reply to
RM

I don't blame you. When I bought my RAM, I had to order it to get the 5 speed and then had to wait for months to get it, but it was worth it!!!

Reply to
TBone

The advise offered on this thread seems reasonable.

My $0.02: I remember an Automotive Mechanics instructor once telling the class that converting a used engine from AT to MT would probable result in rear main bearing failure because of the different loading (and resulting wear patterns) caused by each trans; including axial loading by the clutch release.

Has anyone else heard this?