stick shift to automatic

Trying to remember if its feasible to switch out stick for an automatic or automatic to stick. What are my options on 2004 stick ? I don't like the stick that comes with the truck . Harder to resell a stick ?

Only harder if it's a 1500. That's one reason I got the 2500 with manual tranny. Someone looking at a 2500 will most likely be using it to tow or to work in some fashion and will appreciate the manual over the auto. But on the 1500 a manual is suicide when it comes time to sell it.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

ACK...I'd have to pass on that one.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

If it is a V6, then it sorta needs the stick to be able to move at all. I would leave it the way it is and if you don't already own it, stay away from it because even with a gold plated automatic, you will have a hell of a time trying to sell it with that V6.

"Drew Cutter" < snipped-for-privacy@wcoil.com> wrote in message

================Personally I prefer a stick... I own 6 personal vehicles and only one of them is an automatic... My wife owns one vehicle and it has to be an automatic... Kind of like a swimming pool in the back yard...attacts customers who like a pool...turns away customers who have no use for one...
To be honest I am in my 60's and over the last few months my knees have begun to bother me to the point that I may just have to learn to like an automatic...
Bob Griffiths
I wanted to go the other way on my 1500 when the crap auto tranny went out. After being beat to death by the group I decided it wasnt feasible. Was only possible on the 2500 and up.

Ok, I'll ask. Why is it any harder to convert a 1500 then it is to convert a 2500?

"RM" < snipped-for-privacy@blah.blah> wrote in message

Duh.... because the 2500 sits higher, so you have more room to work underneath. Sheesh... EVERYONE knows that! :)
(Yeah, I have no clue, either - but the answer should be enlightening)

I'm really surprised at you. I'd have thought a man of your experience would know that tools to work on a 1500 are much more expensive than the 2500 wrenches. Not to mention the click type torque wrenches are inaccurate on the 1500 series.
Denny
I thought the tools for the 2500 were actually larger...negating the additional ground clearance difference.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

Tbone Nov 19 2003, 11:45 am show options
Newsgroups: alt.autos.dodge.trucks
author Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:40:36 -0500 Local: Wed,Nov 19 2003 11:40 am Subject: Re: Will any NV4500 tranny fit into a 99 ram 1500 4x4? Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

begin 666 dot_clear.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end
Damn, it is scary how long this stuff stays around. The problem is that it really doesn't answer the question. In this case, the OP (was this you?) wanted to convert a 1500 auto to a standard AND use parts from a 2500 to do it. I was explaining that while converting from an automatic to a standard shift is difficult enough as it is, the fact that the vehicle was a 4X4 and the OP wanted to use parts from a different series of truck was going to make it even more difficult, not that is was any more difficult converting a 1500 compared to a 2500 / 3500. Actually, the conversion of a 2500 / 3500 may be a little more difficult because the damn parts are heavier.

"RM" < snipped-for-privacy@blah.blah> wrote in message
I am probably the only one who remembers since it was my question. It is scary that it never goes away. Still want a damn stick though!

I don't blame you. When I bought my RAM, I had to order it to get the 5 speed and then had to wait for months to get it, but it was worth it!!!

"RM" < snipped-for-privacy@blah.blah> wrote in message
The advise offered on this thread seems reasonable.
My $0.02: I remember an Automotive Mechanics instructor once telling the class that converting a used engine from AT to MT would probable result in rear main bearing failure because of the different loading (and resulting wear patterns) caused by each trans; including axial loading by the clutch release.
Has anyone else heard this?