tranny service advice

Page 5 of 5

Then you haven't been here very long or are not following the threads. Just about every time someone worries about longevity of their automatic transmission, the first words that usually appear in here is to add a cooler followed by daily fluid flushes (sarcasm here).

that
freezing
Are MOST of your trips (highest portion of mileage) of this type AND in sub freezing weather?

No, extensive idling and stop and go are different things all together and again, the key word is MOST. IOW, do you drive a taxi?

This means MOST OR ALL OF THE TIME, not a few times a year and do you?

As in most or all of the time, not a few times per year.

IOW, relate this condition to the conditions above and you will see what severe duty actually means.

Really, which ones and be realistic about it.

Just
cooler
sub
i didnt say short and freezing i just said that it empasised the added importance of this in freezing conditions.

and
again if you read GM's 96 s series owners manual it clearly states "Most trips include extensive idling (such as frequent driving in stop-and-go traffic)
the parithisis is a direct copy from the owners manual i originally sited in my responce as an example it is not my interpetation of thier intention.

the
ok you want reality of my driving here ya go bud! i live on a dirt road (dusty condition maybe????) i drive 3.5 miles to work (short trips maybe????) im a regular at the lake as in pullin the boat just about every weekend to the lake....

How so? We're discussing Dodge trucks, and specifically transmissions. Seems more "signal"-ish to me...

Correct... if you're of the minority (see below) of users that fall into the light-duty Schedule A. Most of us do not.

Well, in my '99 FSM, under schedule B, it calls for fluid changes every 12K miles (so I was wrong before - the now-current 15K interval is actually longer than it was previously)

The average user isn't capable of removing 12 bolts? Damn - the average sure has dropped off...

Well, the current pricing is exactly what I quoted. I'm not interested in what happened 9 years ago... I'm talking about the present. And presently, the tow package has an invoice price of $350.

And if you're not hooking anything to the truck to pull around, the transmission will never need to be cooled beyond the integrated cooler in the radiator.

I'm looking at the schedule that says, "use this if you tow".

Given that you've never done this, I understand your confusion. The filter is encased in a plastic box, with a rubber gasket on the top. Light hand pressure keeps the filter "box" sealed against the valve body via the gasket. With my other hand, I remove the Torx screws. It's really not that difficult... certainly not as complex as, say, removing 12 bolts.

Really? See if any of this applies to you:
Short trips of less than 10 miles Driving in dusty conditions Trailer towing Long periods of engine idling

Stop and go driving Day and night temps are below freezing Off-road operation
If any ONE of those applies, congratulations - you're in the severe-duty service category.

Well, then the authors of the FSM disagree with you. My FSM states, "NOTE: Most vehicles are operated under the conditions listed for Schedule 'B'". You'll understand if I take the word of the Factory Service Manual over your opinion, right?

Nope - you didn't. I brought them up, because their service is virtually identical to that of the transmission - the one you find "absolutely unacceptable". I was using the axle maintenance as an analogy (uh-NAL-uh-jee) to point out the flaw in your claims. Sorry if I confused you.

That would be valid if your argument actually had any real meaning other than opinion bashing.

Yea, you do, you just don't realize it.

12K
But since most people do not really fit into that catagory, it really doesn't matter.

That is not what I said and I hope you know that. The user should not have to remove 12 bolts for a simple fluid change, especially if they are required often.

it
presently,
Even still, far from a huge exaggeration.

receiver,
Really????? Not according to the FSM service schedule and YOU for that matter.

Yea, but tow how much? Are you saying that there is no difference between a person like Mac that tows a trailer every now and then and a contractor that tows 6 days a week?

filter
that
Still more work than should be required to change fluid, especially if they know it needs to be done often.

that
LOL, you forgot the key word that is in front of EVERY one of these conditions in my FSM F R E Q U E N T. Having the occasional short trip, towing a few times a year, getting stuck in traffic every now and then and a few hot or cold days a year is hardly severe-duty and if you think so, then you are not as bright as I thought you were. Going through one or more of these conditions day in and day out like a taxi or a commercial vehicle or someone that lives in extreme weather conditions is a different story than the every now and then like the rest of us.

"NOTE:
What year? Mine says no such thing and when you think about it, the words make no sence at all. If MOST vehicles are operated under Schedule B conditions, then schedule B should actually be schedule A since A reflects NORMAL operation and the higher fitting percentage is always considered normal operations.

your
If you say so but mine says different.

all
And if the level of service was as demanding as you suggest for normal operations, then I would say that the design of the axles are also unacceptable, hell, even more so since adding a drain plug to the bottom of the housing would be just too easy and inexpensive not to add it if it were needed.

The only one you are confusing dude, is yourself.

Alright - since you seem to think most people fall under the light-duty maintenance schedule, the transmission fluid changes are called for every 100K miles (again - 2003 FSM). Given that, do you still feel that pulling 12 bolts is excessive?

According to you, "most" people shouldn't have to do this for 100K miles... shouldn't be a problem then, right?

2003
You want a scan of the page?

In this case, since the change would happen probably only ONCE in the lifetime of the vehicle or at least the transmission then no, it is not excessive in that case. Still a PITA, but not excessive.

miles...
Not if this is the case but according to you, it is not.

words
Then like I said, possibly using lower quality parts or possibly trying to cover their asses with their longer warranties.

I have no reason not to believe you but it doesn't say much for their newer vehicles.

Well, hoo-ray. And now, since you claim that the majority of people fall under the light-duty maintenance schedule, what is it exactly that you're complaining about in the first place?

Bad Tom! It's not good to bring facts and logic into one of these twisted fantasy land arguments.

;^)
Mike

<sigh>
I know... but... but... he can't... I mean... no one could be that... c'mon... not THAT.... well, maybe.... but still... aw, hell....
:)

Yeah, I know... I too tried correcting the lad so he wouldn't labor under his many misconceptions and wouldn't further promulgate misinformation in the NG, but after butting heads a few times I quickly learned that it is a total waste of time. Hopefully, the folks who read his crap will recognize him for the fool that he is...
Mike

Most will. I've been doing the ignore thing for a few months, works for me. Perhaps do the correction and leave it at that? There is no real solution, so if ya don't play, there is no game.
Roy

If only everybody would do that. Maybe he can argue with himself for awhile.
Denny

So you're saying we should shun him? Maybe because he's a Zombie?
http://extremewisdom.com/images/Best.wmv

Not bad.. I don't care what his politics are, I just get tired of his endless tirades on any given subject. I hate to admit it but sometimes I have to agree with him but a good percentage (no pun intended) of the times his knowledge of how things work comes from Fantasy Island. And don't dare to tell him he's wrong.
Denny
Roy wrote:

Yep, been working for me for several months now........

Except for the fact that they also wrote the FSM, where they clearly indicate what level of service they expected. But hey, feel free to disregard the facts.

Except that the $600 option includes the hitch and the wiring, as well as the cooler. But again, why include facts?

Oddly enough, when things are used under conditions as they are designed, they work. But why include that, since its factual?

I'd agree on the filter and fluid. Unfortuantely, they seem to have compromised on durability, TC strength, and a number of other issues. But hey, the oil is easy to change.

No magic to it, simply do it correctly and there is no problem. Just because you think it is, or because you ARE sloppy, doesn't mean the rest of us are messy.

As I said, use a good sealer, and there are no worries. Try Permatex anaerobic sealer in the blue tube. It stays soft and fluid (as much as it can be called fluid) unless denied air and clamped tightly. Once its clamped tightly, it dries to the consistancy of a fruit roll up, easily peeling off the metal surfaces.

No, but I DO use a bit of restraint and attention to detail when doing such things.

A newly installed gasket leaks, and you want to blame the designer of the transmission?

Takes me far longer to wash my truck than it does to change the trans filter and fluid. Lets not even get into how long it takes to wax it.
I see despite my vacation you haven't found any real facts and have posted more inane shit on one topic than any one person could possibly have in thier skull. Do you eat this stuff just to regurgitate it?
--
Max

"jim schultz" wrote:

oil
for
None of the above. For over 25 years I have been changing the filter and topping off the fluid and I have a tranny in one old 4x4 that still works like new and it pushed snow for years too. It is best not to disturb valve body and there is pros and cons to flushing too. The only time I suggest a flush is when tranny have been cooked some and the fluid is discolored or burnt. If you want long tranny life, install a aux tranny cooler if your truck does not already have one.
Case closed... I took the truck to San Diego Dodge today and had the transmission pan dropped, filter changed and bands adjusted. Then he hooked it up to a tranny machine ,flushed it and recirculated in new fluid. Grand Total- $ 265.00 Ouch.... I thought this was the best thing to do since it had never seen a service. I feel better about my upcoming trips to northern Ca and Wa state. Thank for the tips +advice.