'00 SS Clutch "Spring"

After about a year and 6k to 8k miles my clutch pedal started to squeak, kinda embarrassing. Then one day I got in, pushed in on the clutch pedal to start it and bang! The clutch didn't feel any different and it still
functioned as it should but my squeak was gone. Or so I thought. Soon the squeak returned but now it was like metal on metal.I pulled the access panel and out fell a small L-shaped wire,so I took a closer look. A spring on the clutch pedal had broken when I heard the bang and the part left in the pedal was in a bind and rubbing the hanger assembly. I don't know what the function of this "spring" was because I have never seen it on another clutch pedal. I have not had one for about two years now and I still don't know what this springs function was. My pedal feels fine and I don't see what it is hurting to leave it off. Any Thoughts ?
Pics Here http://www.geocities.com/super_sport_38261/index.html?1072318887790 http://www.geocities.com/super_sport_38261/index.html?1072318887790 http://www.geocities.com/super_sport_38261/index.html?1072318887790
jbrainey wrote:

Call a dealer and see if you can get it fixed under a goodwill warranty. There's a TSB out for it - mine blew on my 01 WS6. Scared the crap out of me when it happened - sound like a gun went off in the footwell.
Ray
the spring keeps pressure from being applied and keeping the through out bearing from sitting on the pressure plate fingers on linkage style, on hydraulic it pulls the pedal to the top to allow the fluid in the clutch master to equalize with slave by keeping the whole to the slave open-this also allows self adjustment on some cars.