Escort clutch pedal spring

A little spring has just broken that I beleive was connected to my clutch pedal. Clutch operation doesn't seem affected. Does this matter much?

Tim.

Reply to
na

It will assist the pedal in returning to the fully 'up' position. If the pedal exerts any pressure on the withdrawal mechanism it's called 'riding the clutch' (normally done by your left foot not being taken fully away when driving) and may cause slippage because the clutch is not being allowed to engage fully. Also, the release bearing will be being activated all the time unnecessarily.

However, I very much doubt if the weight of the pedal would actually cause a problem. The manufacturer may have place a spring there as good practice, even if not strictly necessary.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

This is probably the spring which pulls the clutch adjuster round. It normally hooks from the bottom of the toothed quadrant at the top of the pedal and the other end goes into the side of the pedal about three quarters of the way up. Even if the clutch is ok at present get it fixed as this spring is what keeps the cable tension correct.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks very much for the replies gents. Guess it's another thing on the list of stuff to be fixed.

How much should I be charged for this? Much more than a tenner? I'm assuming it isn't a Ford job.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
na

if the plastic part that the spring attaches to has snapped then the clutch pedal must be taken off to replace the adjuster quadrant assembly, it can be a longish awkward job.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

No the spring bust (it's in two bits). Quick job (and cheap) job then?

Tim.

Reply to
na

Assuming it is the spring I am thinking of then it should be cheap in parts, but I don't know whether the spring can be fitted easily at the top end without dismantling the pedal assy.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful