10 Bolt vs. 12 Bolt ?

Which one is better ? what are the pros and cons about both of them? please help me the 10 bolt is an 8.2 & 12bolt i think is 8.875

Reply to
Antonio
12 bolt is 8.875 dia ring gear The 71 up 10 bolt is 8.5 dia ring gear both have the same size pinion dia.

Both are fine.

Reply to
Im Right

Thanks for the info Im Right No dont have a 8.5, i have a 8.2 rearend in my 1967 camaro. and i would like to know about a 12 bolt out of a 1969 camaro. can someone help me with this. chris

Reply to
Antonio

the 69 12 bolt (complete) is an easy couple hour swap for the old 10 bolt

Reply to
Im Right

As mentioned, the 10-bolt uses smaller gears, and there were a few differen sizes for the ring gear: 7.5", 8.2", and the 8.5". The 8.5" gear is the preferred way to go if a 12-bolt can't be located, and for most purposes, is strong enough. The 12-bolt is something like 70 lbs. heavier than the 10, is rare, and is usually way more expensive.

Ken

Reply to
Ken