Front left speaker cutting out

When I go over a bump, the front left speaker sometimes cuts out. Turning up the volume will sometimes bring it back. Same for CD, tape and radio. Changed front speakers - made no difference. Can't find a fault with the head unit (though I haven't tried a different unit yet). Any ideas?? I've a horrible feeling there's a loose connection somewhere inaccessible.... Thanks! Alex

Reply to
alexandlol

Sorry, forgot to say: it's a 97 XLT

Reply to
alexandlol

When I hit a big pothole in my 97 xlt the sound from all the speakers cuts out but it will quickly come back on moments later. Sometimes one speaker will shut off completely like you mentioned but the sound returns 10-15 minutes later. Wish I knew more about what causes this problem.

Reply to
fog-dog

I had this problem/have this problem regularly with after market speakers installed in my Explorer.

I took it in a couple of years ago for this issue, and the stereo-installer reported that my speaker was barely hanging on the mounts anymore. He re-tightened all of the various connections, and the sound sounded awesome again.

It seems that this happens about every two years with my car. I do ride on rutted beach roads occasionally, which probably puts some undue stress on stuff like this. When I get some free time, I plan to take the time to open the door panel and see how things are hooked up, and work on a more permanent solution.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

As with any vehicle that goes over roads that aren't perfectly smooth (that would be tax dollars put to proper use....yeah right), your vehicle undergoes constant shaking.

This is an easy fix.

Pull off the door panels, easy to do a few screws and a couple of snap clips around the perimeter of the door panel. (Careful it is not too cold outside, this could crack the plastic)

Your speaker will be completely visible, and all you have to do is remove the 4 screws holding it to the door frame, and check the harness to see if it is secure, if not; plug it in again replace the speaker and door panel, turn up volume and enjoy.

My recommendation while you have the panels off it to pop in a pair of three way speakers. You would be amazed at the sound difference. Take a peek at what I have in mine.the url is under my name.

Reply to
Teleplus Gatineau

The centre console hasn't been out for any reason lately, has it? There is a multi-pin connector from the CD changer that has to be perfectly re-connected tightly, or the same thing can happen.

Reply to
budman