Re: 2002 Ford Explorer Whine / Howl

I just took mine in for rear end noise, yesterday. Dealer was familiar. They are going to replace the drive shaft, which had too much play but they told me that until last night, Ford was letting them replace the rear ends but they won't now, until they engineer a fix for it. Mine is a 2002 Eddie Bower

Been there also. Lucky to have bought the extend service agreement. Have > had trans axle replaced, rear end, transmission and last time they put some > special lub in trans axle. Probaly lard or STP. > > > > Just wanted to add my story to the countless others. Bought a 2002 > Explorer in 7/02. First heard whine from rear-end at 25K and took it to > dealer. They said it was normal. (Also had it back 3 times for a faulty > compass, once for cracked rear hatch, and once for faulty rear defroster) > Took it back at 31k, replaced hubs. Noise still there (about 45mph and only > when I accelerate). Back 3rd time at 34k, this time they replaced ring and > pinion. Back at 35k with failed ring seal. Noise was slight, but still > noticeable. Eventually got louder, starts at 45mph, goes away and reappears > at 65-69mph, much much louder. Back to dealer, I'm at 46k, but was within > their 12k mile parts warranty. Was told by service manager that he spoke > with Ford tech who told him not to fix, because "We (Ford) do not know how > to fix." I was first made aware of the SSM stating that Ford knew of > problem and were working on it in Sept 03. Was again referred to that SSM > this time (2/04). Have complained numerous times to Ford Cust Service. No > fix yet, $565 a month for a vehicle that is annoying to drive. Thinking of > starting a website and campaign against Ford to have them address this > problem. I have seen and heard of hundreds of others with same problem > (edmunds.com and NHTSA.gov etc.) (at least I've had no out-of-pocket > expenses yet). I think we need to band together...any thoughts....anyone > interested in a "grass roots" effort? > > > >
Reply to
MB

Start writing letters !

thoughts....anyone

Reply to
MB

I too have had the "rear end whine" since May '03. Dealer replaced rear end once but whine returned. This was Oct '03. Then Ford said no more replacements and look at bulletin 17054. The dealer assured me "if" Ford found a fix they would fix vehicle even if out of warranty, which is now the case. Have written several letters and emails and spoken to cust serv reps at Ford to no avail. They will not even answer me now. I too would like to elevate but can't find an address. I hate having a $33000 vehicle that I hate to drive. The dealer Customer Service rep did tell me Ford had found a fix for the same problem on the Linclon Aviator. And if it worked, maybe the same would work for the Explorer. What can we do??????

Reply to
onegolfer

Unless you have this on letterhead, such an assurance is regretfully anything but .

If you have yet to get this in writing, you should do so today. Not tomorrow, today. Worry only about someone who is unwilling to put their words formally to paper. Even then, the signed letterhead is little more than support for any legal action you may (but hopefully won't need to) take in the future.

Get it in writing or don't believe a word they say!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Humphrey

I just got my Mountaineer back from the dealer today. They replaced the complete rear end. I was told it was a redesigned differential. My vehicle does not "whine" anymore and seems to have less vibration.

The Lincoln Aviator, Mercury Mountaineer and Ford Explorers are affected by this problem. Don't let your dealer tell you otherwise. There is a SSM on Ford's Oasis system that tells them to replace the Rear Diff Assy as a whole unit.

I can't beleive they haven't issued a recall, but since it doesn't cause death, they probably won't.

Reply to
sactown

Just got a call from my Ford dealership. I had hit a brick wall with Ford Cust Service not calling me back. Anyway, the dealership called and advised me that they might have a fix for the whine. Taking it in this Friday, so my fingers are crossed, but then again this is Ford and they haven't done a whole bunch to instill confidence in their cust service, repairs or products.

Reply to
Spinachetr