1989 Ford Tempo won't start after thermostat replacement

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me before my 9 am interview tomorrow.
I had to replace the thermostat and during the operation a spring attached
somewhere near the throttle body was knocked loose. I can't recall where it goes or find an illustration in Chilton or Haynes telling me where to attach it. The car started once without the spring but once I gave it gas it died. Now I can't start it at all, I've spent two days on this I'm frustrated and can't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks, Angelia
What I would do is operate the throttle linkage by hand under the hood and try to see if everything "springs out" when you open the throttle and springs back when you let go.