2001 Ford Escape

Hi,
A friend of mine has been looking at the Ford Escapes. There are few few 2001 models available at a local dealership, I think they may be lease buybacks.
Does anyone have any experience with these vehicles?
Thanks,
Mike.

My advice would be to stay away from the '01 model- there were a number of recalls and numerous problems with it. That was the 1st year for the Escape/ Mazda Tribute and I guess the engineers had all but a few bugs worked out. Check out here for recalls:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
Check this site for what other Escapees have to say:
www.escape-central.com
I waited until the 2002 model year and the only recall I've had was for the stalling problem (which didn't happen to me), and the only problem I had was a cracked radiator clamp that leaked when the SUV got hot (fixed under warranty). I love my Escape- I wouldn't trade it for anything.
SC Tom
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the links also.

few
Escape/
the
was
M. Bruneau wrote:

Don't get a first year model. I rent one about once per month for business and put on about 1000 miles each time. Great machine. Stable - if you raise the tire pressure. Good visibility. Feels comfortable and controllable to at least 107 mph. Both 3.0 engines seem to be good. 4 wheel drive is nice but nearly useless here in Texas - except for the one time I went mudding across a construction zone. Dislikes: needs a better sound system (but still better than any GM rental). No padding on arm rests is hard on long trips. Would I buy one? Yes.
says...

Both 3.0 engines?? I thought it had either a 2.3L 'Duratec 23' 4 cylinder or the 3.0L 'Duratec 30' V6. The Mazda uses the same engines. I believe the 2.3L is actually a Mazda engine.
Andrew Rossmann wrote:

Oops. You are correct. I meant to say: "Both 2.0 & 3.0..."
We actually just got rid of our '01 for an Explorer (had a baby, needed the room). *Overall* a good vehicle, but she did have to bring it back for a couple recalls. The transmission acted up as well, requiring a flush and ECM flash.. and it still slipped occasionally. Personally, I'd go with an '02 and up.