2004 Lincoln Aviator- ATTN JIM WARMAN

Jim-

If you are still around.......needing advice on the TPMS setup with the 04 Aviator?s. Im wanting to replace the wheels and tires, but have some concerns with the TPMS system. Can you reuse the sensors that are currently on there? If I have to get them retrained, cana dealership do that? Is there a less expensive way of doing it?

Any advice from anyone would be great.

Thanks

Reply to
nuttzo

I've heard that a lot of people have trouble with this type of change... while I haven't had anything personal to do with something like this, I can't see why problems are encountered. But let's make a paragraph just to hedge my bets and give some insight into the system.... Yours will be the valve stem sensors.

We are told that tire rotation has no effect on these sensors... but there is some fallacy to that statement. When the vehicle is at rest, the sensors report back to the module every few hours (sorry, I can't remember the exact time frame). Once vehicle speed exceeds 20 mph, the sensors report every 60 seconds.... I can't find anything that tells me if this change is caused by VSS readings or by centrifugal force....(in case a wheel diameter change is in your plan). I can't see a big concern in either case.

What I see as being some of the biggest problems is with both tire shops and dealer techs not having a full understanding of these systems. Having said that, I'll try to list out all of the cautions I can find and remember.....

The first one that comes to mind is the valve cores.... don't even attempt to remove them.... They will be destroyed in the attempt and the only sure cure after that is a new stem/transponder. The cores are "special" to eliminate corrosion since, along with the stem, they form the antenna of the transponder. Changing to a conventional core an affect antenna "trim" which could damage the transponder or otherwise affect the operation of the transponder. The correct way to deflate a tire with these transponders is to deflate the tire with a tire chuck (not the best way) or to remove the nut and push the stem inside the tire ( a new o-ring will be required). In either case, great care will be needed to avoid damaging the transponder during bead breaking and tire demounting.

There are two different sensors available for this style system.... they are NOT interchangeable...

These sensors report tire pressure to the module which decides if the pressure is too low according to preset parameters. Setting all four tires at the same pressure may not be enough.... these pressures will have to be above the trigger point for low pressure warnings. Sorry, I just don't know what these low limits are....

After replacement, it should not be necessary to retrain the transponders to the module.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

howd it work out? ive got an 04 avi and im trying to upgrade the tire size... is there anyway to keep the 17 chrome lincoln rims and just get a bigger tire... i need some advice cause im new at this... thanks-

"nuttzo" wrote: > Jim- > > If you are still around.......needing advice on the TPMS setup > with the 04 Aviator's. Im wanting to replace the wheels and > tires, but have some concerns with the TPMS system. Can you > reuse the sensors that are currently on there? If I have to > get them retrained, cana dealership do that? Is there a less > expensive way of doing it? > > Any advice from anyone would be great. > > Thanks

Reply to
ksegz