For Jim Warman

Jim,

On occasion when I start my 99' Explorer after the normal self test the air bag blinks 3 times, pauses and then blinks 7 times. This is repeated a few times and then the light stays on. Other times it does the self test and turns off. I am just wanting to know what the 3-7 means. I am not going to try to repair it as I don't want the air bag to deploy in my face!

Any ideas what gives?

TIA, Dave

Reply to
Davenandee

If the airbag system detects a fault during the self-test, it will set a trouble code and either turn the light on or make it flash.... I'm not up on the flash codes (spoiled using high end scan tools, I suppose). The trouble code will remain in the Restraint Control Module for many keys starts, even those times the system passes the self test and the light proves out normally. On yours. I would expect either a pretensioner or a clockspring concern.

HTH.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you for the reply. I'll try the local shop to see if their scanner covers that system.

Dave

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
Davenandee