2004 Taurus TSB

Does anyone have access to Ford TSB's ???

- or - Know where to get them on the web without buying a subscription to a service???

I'm looking for #17511 and it has to do with front suspension noise. This car is noisy from the front when cold, after driving awhile and allowing it to warm up, noise goes away...

Thanks!

Reply to
Malcolm Fjords
17511 is likely a NHTSA reference number ... I can assure you that it is NOT aFord TSB number (though the possibility remains that it may be a very old SSM - Special Service Message).

FWIW, if you are looking for any warranty extensions, it will not be found in a TSB since these are simply diagnostic aids for techs... Email me your VIN off list with a reminder of what your concern is and I'll see what I can dig up...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Special Service Message 17511 deals with a situation where the plastic inner fender liner may be contacting the coil spring... The fix (if this is the cause) is to trim the fender liner to avoid contact...

The SSM mentions only rough roads and makes no mention of temperature.

SSM 15697 mentions a momentary grunt sound when the engine is cold but this sound comes from the AC compressor and usually happens only once at first start.

I assume that you have inspected the front end and tried recreating the noise at a standstill?

Reply to
Jim Warman

For $25 you can get them all at alldatadiy.com, worth it.

Reply to
sleepdog

You can get TSBs at Alldata, not SSM (OASIS messages)/

Ed

C. E. White

What I said, you can get all the TSBs at alldatadiy.com. The OP didn't ask for OASIS

Reply to
sleepdog

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:dvS7g.4086$zn1.2503@clgrps13:

Well, lots of free time this weekend, I'll look at it then...

Reply to
Malcolm Fjords

I have to ask what you feel OASIS "is"....

I get the feeling that many consider OASIS to be "mehanic in a can"....

Reply to
Jim Warman

----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: alt.autos.ford Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:13 PM Subject: Re: 2004 Taurus TSB

He was asking about #17511 which looks like a SSM number, not a TSB. I just wanted to make sure it was understood that an Alldata DIY Subscription was not going to get you access to SSMs. After further reflection, I believe he got the 17511 number by searching the NHTSA Database. Unfortunately, they don't have a consistent system for cross referencing Ford SSM numbers and TSB numbers (at least not one I understand). All manufacturer's are suppose to supply all "safety related" service messages (TSBs and internal messages) to NHTSA. They list brief summaries of these in their database (

), but you haveto request the actual documents (for a fee). Different manufacturer'sconsider different things "safety related." Ford seems to send themeverything (including painting tips). The Japanese manufacturers tend tosend nothing unless NHTSA opens an investigation. Of course for people whodon't understand this, it makes the US manufacturers look bad since theytend to have lots of bulletins listed in the NHTSA database compared to theJapanese manufacturers which tend to have very few listed. For instance, Irecently purchased a Nissan Frontier. I paid for access to the Nissanservice information and was shocked to see that there were already 40 TSBsfor my brand new 2006 Truck. Some were serious (and some were trivial). Yetif you check NHTSA, they list only 8. And Nissan won't allow Alldata accessto their data. I suspect Toyota is even worse. Back to the original question. It turns out 17511 is a number listed in the NHTSA database. The following summary id from the NHTSA site:

Make: FORD Model: TAURUS Year: 2004 Type: ANY Service Bulletin Number: 17511 NHTSA Item Number: 10007343 Summary Description: NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION AREA. *TT

It is a Ford SSM, which Alldata doesn't supply, even if you get a diy subscription.

Unfortunately, unless you want to pay NHTSA, you cannot get a copy of the complete message from NHTSA either.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Great, thanks. If the OP had asked for an "SSM"...

Reply to
sleepdog

I believe it's that system the dealers use to punch in your VIN and bring up any reported issues for your vehicle...

If I could get a mechanic in a can I wouldn't be lurking here. And he would probably sock me for trying to stuff him into a can anyway... I don't believe mechanics (most) deserve to be treated that way.

Reply to
sleepdog