2005 Escape fuel ipe flapper valve Problem

I have an 05 Escape and noticed that the flapper valve is missing in the fuel filler tube. Not sure there was one there to begin with. Should there be a flapper in the filler tube? I knoe this sounds like
a dumb question, but I never noticed If the valve broke off, it would probably be stuck in the tube and maybe the reason why it is extremely difficult to fill the tnk.