93 ford escort

My 93 ford escort has a very slow acceleration after a stop light or stop sign. It is also starting to run hot. The car just passed emmissions not to long ago any ideals about the problems?

Reply to
raspberry1

sign. It is also starting to run hot. The car just passed emmissions not to long ago any ideals about the problems?

The vehicle has an onboard diagnostic computer that generates & stores engine trouble codes. Get the codes read for a beginning.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

Timing belt may have jumped a cog. What is the mileage? Those belts have a replacement schedule of 60K and will probably not last more than 80K to

100K. Based on my experience with my '93, unless you have a diagnostic tool to plug into the onboard computer, you probably won't be able to get any meaningful codes by trying to read the flashing check engine light, and even then the computer may not return any error codes at all.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

If you just want to guess instead of using the built-in diagnostics, then head gasket is a possibility.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

I'm not in favor of guessing if there is some way to accurately diagnose the problem. I eventually bought the code reader but even with that, the error reporting on the '93 I had was quite poor. During the 142,000 miles I owned it, many things went wrong and the onboard computer never gave any useful information to me or to the place that did my service. Merely pointing out that the onboard diagnostics are only another form of guessing that may or may not give you some meaningful information so don't look at the onboard diagnostics like they are some sort of god. It's ok to look at them but be aware of the limitations.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Well, that's what S.C. said.

the codes only help much if you understand the systems. If you can couple them (or couple the 'lack of' code) to such things as Fuel pressure and spark timing... then it would be pretty informative.

Later OBDII system is much more informative, of course.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The only way you know for sure if you have a gasket leak is if you do a compression test. Also if you have a gasket leak water will be mixing in with your oil and you will have hard trouble driving. If it is a timing belt issue It would not be slow aceleration from a stop that would be your only promblem. You will know it Your car will start miss firing and possibly backfiring. For the overheating I would check the thermostat and your waterpump and see if they are leaking or if you have unusual amount of water underneath the car. As to slow accelaration as you describe I would check your fuel filter and replace it or change the gasoline you use. I have a 93 Ford Escort and it will not go from 0 to 60 in under 20 second. As a matter of fact even in highway driving it is a slow starter but when it gets going it will do 60 to 70 with no promblem anything over that and and the temperture will start rising though I have maxed it out for awhile but it will not take it for the long haul.

Reply to
esteli

[...]

Check your mass air flow sensor and air filter. These get dirty and when cleaned properly it makes a big difference. Well your at it clean your throttle body inside. This gets dirty as well.

Reply to
leadpeddle