'95 T-Bird 4.6L burning coolant

Blowing white smoke and going thru lots of coolant. Heard that there may be an intake manifold crack problem with these. Someone suggested blown head gaskets??? No water in the oil pan. Is the '95 4.6L the same as
'96-'99?
Thanx in advance, Ron
On 4/12/2005 7:45 AM, Lobstaman wrote:

My brother had the intake manifold crack. It might be covered under a special warranty...

The 94 and 95 4.6 in the T-Bird uses a metal alloy manifold. Later models are known to crack and use a plastic manifold. There is a long rubber hose under the intake coming out from the water pump. Sure you are burning coolant and not leaking from that hose or a water pump issue ? Steve
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:45:21 -0400, "Lobstaman"

known for cracked intake
hurc ast

Look at the intake on the 95. I think you will find it aluminum not plastic(black) The plastic one is known for cracks, not the aluminum. And even if it was I dont remember ever seeing one burn coolant because of the crack (it just leaks) It sounds like a bad head gasket. Did you get it hot? Has anyone pulled the plugs to see which head it is? You are going to have to spend some money on it to know for sure.
Thanx guys. Had two mechanics tell me it could be head gaskets or block. Quoted me $1800 for the job. The car has 130k miles and I only paid $1600 for it a few months ago, so I think I might try some mechanic in a bottle I've seen advertized on this site. Anyone had any experience with "Heal-a-Seal" and the likes?
Thanx again,
Ron (aka..blind mechanic)
Or have the intake gasket checked, they are plastic and crack at the t-stat side. That or the cylinder head has been eaten away around there.
Johan