The cigarrete lighter in my 98 Taurus SE keeps blowing fuses. I checked it
with a meter and it appears there is a short to ground. I pulled the actual
receptacle off and it seems ok so I think the short is in the wiring itself.
The problem is the fuse box is a bear to get at and there is only a few
inches of wire accessible at the lighter end. It is getting to be a pain
not being able to charge my phone while in the car so I'd like to fix this
if possible. So, here are a few questions:
1. Any one seen this before and could maybe help narrow the problem down?
2. Any suggestions on finding the short?
3. Would it just be easier to rewire and if so how do I go about that?
(Fuse box taps? splice into some other wire?) I'm pretty good with
electronics but not very familar with auto wiring.
4. Any place i can obtain a wiring diagram? Would Chilton's have it? I can
access one of those at the local library?
5. Any other suggestions or help?