'99 F-250 Superduty 5.4 ???

I have a 5.4 in my superduty, and it was replaced with a 2001 5.4 motor after noticing a diesel sound when starting up in cooler weather. I find it has the same noise as before, but also notice it sounds like it has a valve
ticking noise in the upper rpm's when driving just before it shifts. It drives fine, and has lots of power, just wondering if this is typical to this engine, or if I have problems that are gradually getting worse. Any info would be appreciated, and if there is any TSB's related to this.
Cheers,
Dale
Dale, Have you checked the exhaust gasket? Sometimes those things go out and it sounds just like a clicking valve. Just replaced one on my boss' truck that did the same thing.
Good luck.
Casey Teague http://justjeeps.jeepz.com

That is something I have never thought about. It would make sense, as once the truck is good an hot, I no longer hear it. I would be happy if that is all it is. I had a '91 F-150 that used to crack exhaust manifolds like they were going out of style. Ford finally got a set right, and at one point, it stopped. Lucky for me, it was always under warranty. Chacking the manifold should be fairly simple.
Thanks,
Dale