another 83 topaz question -busted cv boot

Howdy
So, I just noticed today the rubber boot to the wheel on the drive axel is cracked, but not completly busted off. I can see the shiny bare metal where it has shifted position, so I feel it has not been
busted for too long.
Weird noises are nothing new to the car, and I have had one break on an 87 topaz I assume the failure will be the same, stranding but not dangerous.
I seem to remember being told that once the boot goes it is not long before the whole unit fails, is this true?
Is the replacement too complicated for a "shadetree mechanic" and simple tools, or should I consider other options (such as pushing said vehicle over a cliff)?
thanks

An 83 topaz? Over the cliff sounds like a good idea, even if it were in perfect condition for an '83.
Usually by the time you notice a boot has gone, the CV joint has too much dirt in it already. Not always. It is an expensive repair (the part is pretty expensive).
Jeff

axles are under$100 . With a little shopping they can be had for quite a bit cheaper than that for a DIY'er. They can be a little tricky to install on a Tempo however. Bob

I thought the axles were around $200 to $250. Thanks for the correction.