Can Anything Stop Toyota?

Page 6 of 16
C. E. White wrote:

One thing they missed, though - the new 2003 > 4-Runner is the best large SUV for off-road use. My friend bought one and it equalled the Land Rover in heavy off-road use. That's impressive, since the Land Rover was always the king of the off-road hill. Toyota quality, and good off-road as well.
Their MR2 is nice as well - and of course the Prius is like cheap candy - gobbled up as fast as they ship them.
The others - yeah - I consider the Avalon a Large car like a CV or Park Avenue. Lol. Oh - the LeSabre edged out the Avalon as well, which is nnot surprizing - it's a massive update of the old designs. read: interior and handling that don't suck - a GM first)
Joseph Oberlander wrote:One thing they missed, though - the new 2003 > 4-Runner is the best

Well I don't know about that. From what I've seen it is the same old technology wrapped in a new skin. All the Toyota SUVs seem dated but that is just my opinion. Hopefully the revised 4Runner won't be the death trap the old 4Runner was. I never understood why the press made such a big deal about the Explorer, when the 4Runner had a rollover death rate about 4 times higher.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

The new 4-runner Sport with the reactive suspension is amazing - my friend was going around corners at 40mph and it never lost a bit of traction.
The other models - not as good - the suspension is an amazing difference.
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Hopefully it is better than the active suspension system in the Sequoia. From what I have read about that system, at best it is no worse than the standard suspension and some have claimed it is actually a safety hazard.
Ed

One of these days the teflon is gonna wear off, and everyone will see that Toyota is just another car maker. I'm sure Toyota's PR dept is working overtime to squelch negative press. Besides, "everyone" knows that American vehicles are crap and Japanese cars are flawless, right? :-/
While the Camry seems to be a decent car, I can't say I've ever been impressed with much of the rest of their lineup. Their trucks are really pathetic.

Both of you are right, and I made the mistake of thinking that CR was referring only to the quality ratings and not the reliability ratings.
I stopped buying CR years ago when they said a Dodge model was better than a Plymouth version and the only difference between the two was the grill. The information on the Buick from CR was reported in the Chicago Tribune newspapers. Another article said Ford new F150 is far and away a better truck than the Tundra or any other truck on the market today, as well. ;)
mike hunt
do_not_spam_me wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in message

And what an interior! Well, at least in pictures... I'm eagerly waiting to check out the upcoming Futura and 500.
except in offset crash tests
--

>> Remove "zz" from e-mail address to direct reply. <<

"Neo" < snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com> wrote in message
The 2004 F150 received the NHTSA highest rating of five stars for driver and passenger. The NHTSA test are the ONLY reliable tests for vehicles offered for sale in the US. To pass the NHTSA test the results MUST be repeatable, unlike similar unverifiable test conducted at higher speeds by others of ONE vehicle.
mike hunt
Steve Stone wrote:

"Philip" wrote:

I had a bad experiences with a Toyota a few years ago. I think current Toyota products are dull and uninteresting. There is not a single Toyota product other than the Pirus that is has any outstanding features. When only cars the cars I can afford are like the current Toyota products, I don't know what I'll do. I really don't understand the "Toyota phenomenum." I've owned Toyotas, had significant others that owned Toyotas, expect my SO to own a Toyota again soon, and worked with many Toyota owners. None of the Toyotas I have been associated with seem to have been particualrly reliable or long lasting. Yet, almost every Toyota owner I know loves them. I just don't understand why. One particular freind spent more keeping his Camry running than I spent on all the cars I owned in the last 15 years. You'd think he'd swear off Toyotas (I know I would have). But no, he bought another Toyota. He hasn't owned a domestic car in 20 years (and the last one was an AMC product). When I pointed out how unreliable his Toyota was, he took the attitude that it was not that bad and that any US car would have been worse. He thinks I am just lucky and that I am due to suffer soon.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

It's the engine. As long as the engine itself is fine and the car starts, most people consider the car to be bulletproof. The old Volvos used to be the same - you couldn't kil the engine and it always ran, yet it wasn't a Mercedes by anyone's imagination. Of course, Mercedes then started building cheap cars...
C. E. White wrote:

We heard you the first time, and we also know you speak for a small of you. They are #2 on the planet, apparently, folks want dull and uniteresting. Of course, trying to get out of a burning car is far from dull and uninteresting, maybe you need a Ford?
--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for
MDT Tech wrote:

I've never had a Ford as bad as the Toyota I owned. I only wish the Toyota would have burned up. As for claiming that Toyota is #2 on the planet. I think you have that wrong as well.
Ed
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:05:45 -0500, "C. E. White"

Sorry, (and I wish I had the link to prove it...) but Toyota has overtaken Ford as the global #2 selling marque in the auto world, behind GM.
Vuarra
Debating which is better is kid stuff, they ALL build some that are not up to snuff. If total sales count for quality and reliability then that would indicate GM builds the best quality and offers the best value. Toyota indeed outsold Ford worldwide by few thousand vehicles in the third quarter. What the Toyota fanatics don't tell you is Ford outsells Toyota nearly three to one in the US. The one bad Toyota one once owned does not make all Toyotas bad anymore than does one bad GM or Ford one owned make all GM's Fords bad. For some reason a hand full of Toyota owners that hang in the NG's seem paranoid or have an inferiority complex and try to justify their preference by denigrating anything else. From what I see in our business all manufactures are building good vehicles today, the only real difference is style and price. I would suggest one drive and get a total drive home price, then buy the style and brand that best suit their needs and budget and get on with their life.
mike hunt
Vuarra wrote:

Vuarra wrote:

This is based on the results for the third quarter only. For the model year Ford is still ahead. It is possible that Toyota might overtake Ford for the model year if Toyota has a very strong fourth quarter, but it doesn't seem likely given the strong sales of the new F150. Third qurter truck sales for Ford were somewhat depressed becasue a lot of people were waiting to see the new F150. The biggest thing hurting Ford car sales is the lack of new models. They won't start appearing until next year. Toyota may finish #2 for the year or they may not. If this happens the Ford execs only need to look in the mirror to understand why. Instead of spending money to develop new vehicles thye bought Volvo. t wasn't profitiable before Ford bought it, and probaly never will be.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

Ed, you have some sour grape juice running down your face. They didnt get to be #2 on the planet for no reason. Your views are just that, your only.
--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for

They do a

As are your views..... at least Eds make sense. Bob
Bob wrote:

Bob, sour grape juice on you too? :-D
Suck it up, get over it!