Can't shift out of park

Got a 96 Taurus. Went out this morning to warm it up and it started fine, warmed up fine.
Got my son strapped in, got in and tried to shift into reverse and I CAN'T
MOVE THE GEAR SHIFT!!!! I press the break pedal to the floor and still nothing. What's wrong with my car?
Rev
Replace brake light switch.
"Rev. Ed Blonski" wrote:

Rev. Ed Blonski wrote:

old ladies had thier car in park(or thought it was in park and was in reverse.) some hurt and one was killed.. now they have it where you cannot take your car out of park unless you put your foot on the brake... probably a bad brake light switch(under the brake pedal or the wire(s) going to it came loose and dropped down......
This sounds like exactly what has happened to me!
Thanks for all your help and thanks to Sharon as well!
Rev

As a temporary solution, turn the key one click forward (before all the warning lights come on) shift into neutral, then start it.