check engine light for 93 taurus

does anyone know if auto zone checks the check engine light for the OBDI cars??? i know they do the later model cars.. and if so where can i get the codes definition on the internet.. i got a code scanner, but its one
of those beep, beep, and the flashing light, $25 ones and i cant use it, loose count of the beeps and i guess it miss on the flashing light also.... thanks for a reply....

Do a search or buy a manual.

Then buy one that has a display, or pay better attention.
Thomas Moats wrote:

anyway...

When it plays the lights, make a video recording, so you can make a more accurate count of the lights.
Jeff
jim wrote:

Yes they do. take it in and ask. (except maybe ca)
BOB

I believe Autozone has only OBD II scanners, but your car doesn't have OBD I but Ford's own interface, which doesn't even require the $25 scanner. See www.therangerstation.com/OBD_I.html for information about reading and interpreting the codes by using nothing but a jumper wire. You'll still have to count the flashes, but that isn't as difficult as it seems (but not as easy as counting them on a GM), although writing a mark on a piece of paper for every flash can help you count faster.
The best manuals for fuel/emissions diagnosis are from the auto maker and Mitchell, and the latter are available at all but the very worst libraries. They'll not only list all the codes but also have several hundred pages of iagnostic charts and information on testing each component, usually with just a digital multimeter (the $25 would have been better spent on one). Chilton's, Haynes, and Alldata are especially weak for problems in these areas.
http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html